The Progressive Conservative government will release its nursing home renovation and replacement plan before the legislative assembly resumes next month, Social Development Minister Sue Stultz said on Friday.

Stultz, who was at the official opening of the York Care Centre expansion in Fredericton, said the extensive review into how the provincial government plans to move forward with new and upgraded nursing homes is complete.

The social development minister said the plan is now being sent to cabinet for final approval.

"The review is complete, we are compiling the information to take to government for government approval. we expect to announce this before the legislature sits again," she said.

"We had the taxpayers’ money and we had to ensure that we looked after our seniors -- that is paramount with our government  … but we have to do it in a cost-efficient way."

The York Care Centre has received $36 million in renovations since 2005.

Meanwhile, the provincial government has been reviewing all other nursing home projects to see if money can be saved.

Stultz announced in July that almost $6 million had been saved by reviewing the construction and renovation plans for the nursing homes in Saint John, Stanley, Edmundston and the Nepisiguit/Chaleur region.

Other nursing homes in Grand Manan and Mill Cove have been hit with mould outbreaks.