David Alward calls Kent byelection for April 15
Liberal Leader Brian Gallant is running for seat vacated by ex-premier Shawn Graham
Posted: Mar 18, 2013 1:53 PM AT
Last Updated: Mar 18, 2013 6:51 PM AT
- Kent byelection called for April 15
- Ex-premier Shawn Graham resigned Kent riding on March 11
- Liberal Leader Brian Gallant is running in the byelection
- PCs will run a candidate despite an earlier pledge
Premier David Alward has called a byelection for April 15 in the riding of Kent, which was vacated by the resignation of former premier Shawn Graham.Liberal Leader Brian Gallant is running in the Kent byelection. (CBC)
The timing of the byelection means Kent voters will have a chance to see the Alward government’s March 26 budget before they head to the polls.
Alward’s Progressive Conservatives have a clear majority in the legislative assembly so the byelection will not tip the balance of power.
But Liberal Leader Brian Gallant is hoping to use the byelection as a chance to get a seat in the legislature.
Alward said at a news conference the Kent byelection will give voters chance to render a verdict on Graham's handling of the controversial Atcon file.
"I believe that they will have an opportunity to really send a verdict to the Liberal party for their handling of the Atcon scandal, for the $70 million that New Brunswick taxpayers have lost," he said.
The Progressive Conservatives won a 2012 byelection in the riding of Rothesay. Health Minister Ted Flemming replaced former MLA Margaret-Ann Blaney, who was appointed as the president and chief executive officer of Efficiency New Brunswick.
The most recent Corporate Research Associates political poll had the Liberals leading in popular support in New Brunswick but in a three-way race with Alward’s Tories and Dominic Cardy’s New Democratic Party.
The Tories have 42 seats in the 55-seat legislature and the Liberals have 12.
Campaigning has startedFormer premier Shawn Graham officially resigned as the Liberal MLA for Kent on March 11. (CBC)
Gallant has won the Liberal nomination in the riding and has already been campaigning in Kent.
The Progressive Conservatives had initially promised not to run a candidate against Gallant if another Liberal MLA had resigned last year following his election as Liberal leader.
But the Tories confirmed last week that offer had expired.
The Tories will hold a nominating convention for the byelection on March 20.
Alward said his party is not going back on its word by running a candidate in the upcoming byelection.
The Tories offered to stay out of the way if a Liberal member quit to allow Gallant to get into the legislature, he said.
Graham didn't quit for that reason, so the offer doesn't apply, Alward said.
"It's clear Shawn Graham had to step down with the scandal associated with Atcon. We believe the people of Kent have an opportunity to have their voice heard from all parties."
Graham announced he was leaving politics following a scathing reporting by the province’s conflict-of-interest commissioner. Ryan ruled Graham had been in a conflict in regards to the Atcon file and said he should be fined $3,500.
The eastern New Brunswick riding of Kent has been one of the safest seats for the Liberals for decades.
It has been held by Graham since 1998 when he won a byelection following the retirement of his father, Alan, who had represented the riding since 1967.
Latest New Brunswick News Headlines
- Glut of Tory bills meant to stifle debate, Liberals allege
- The Alward government has launched a legislative blitz on Wednesday, with cabinet ministers introducing 16 bills four weeks before MLAs hope to break for the summer. more »
- Paramedics unable to revive Chinese student, inquest hears
- The two paramedics who responded to the near-drowning of a 17-year-old Chinese student at the Canada Games Aquatic Centre in Saint John in 2011 say they tried their best to resuscitate him, but they couldn't get his heart to beat. more »
- Duffy should resign over expense scandal, Tory MP says
- Conservative MP Mike Allen is calling for Senator Mike Duffy to resign amid the growing controversy over his expense scandal. more »
- Kent Homes in Bouctouche lands its largest contract
- Kent Homes in Bouctouche has landed the largest contract in the company's history. more »
Top News Headlines
- Harper 'not consulted' about Duffy Senate expense repayment
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper says that not only did he not know about his chief of staff's "gift" to repay Senator Mike Duffy's expenses before the story broke in the media, he was not consulted and did not sign off on Nigel Wright's decision to write a personal cheque. more »
- Mayor Ford stays silent while his brother defends him
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford continues to stonewall the media over allegations that he was recorded on video smoking what appears to be crack cocaine, but his brother Coun. Doug Ford told reporters Wednesday that the story is untrue. more »
- 'You will see him again in heaven,' Sharlene Bosma tells daughter
- Sharlene Bosma told more than 1,000 people at the public memorial service for her slain husband, Tim Bosma, about the love they shared. more »
- Rob Ford fired as Don Bosco Eagles head coach
- The Toronto Catholic District School board announced Wednesday that it was turfing Mayor Rob Ford from his position as head coach of the Don Bosco Eagles senior football team. more »
- Rothesay woman killed in domestic homicide
- Duffy should resign over expense scandal, Tory MP says
- Stonemason sues after losing legislature contract
- Deaths of 3 fishermen could have been prevented, peers say
- Vandals spray-paint profanity on CFB Gagetown tank
- Elderly man dies in debris fire
- Dieppe drivers face long delays
- Bathurst council rescinds Sunday shopping bylaw
- Woman granted bail in 'Baby Taylor' case