Inmate released 'in error' charged in deadly home invasion
Case sparks New Brunswick review of correctional centre procedures
Posted: Nov 9, 2012 4:14 PM AT
Last Updated: Nov 9, 2012 9:27 PM AT
A New Brunswick inmate who was released by mistake from a Saint John jail last month is now facing charges in a home invasion that resulted in a death, CBC News has learned.
The Department of Public Safety issued a statement on Friday about an early release that has sparked a review of all case files and quality assurance processes in provincial correctional institutions.
“I regret to inform the public that an individual was released in error from the Saint John Regional Correctional Centre,” Public Safety Minister and Solicitor General Robert Trevors said in the statement.
The inmate was released on Oct. 15, then arrested by the Saint John police on an unrelated matter on Nov. 4, he said.
Department spokeswoman Deborah Nobes said the provincial government is prevented by law from releasing any information about the inmate.
But CBC News has learned that the man in question is Ronald McCutcheon, 20, who was arrested on Nov. 4 in connection with a west Saint John home invasion that resulted in a death.
McCutcheon has been charged with robbery in that case and has elected to be tried by judge and jury.
In September, McCutcheon was sentenced to nine months in jail on 11 unrelated charges, including fraudulent use of a credit card, mischief, breaching a court undertaking and resisting a constable.
Public safety is 'primary concern'
"The safety of the public is our primary concern at all times, and corrections staff are now reviewing the incident internally and working to ensure similar incidents do not happen in future," the minister said.
The department has reviewed all records related to the inmate in question and all other offenders at the Saint John Regional Correctional Centre have been reviewed and confirmed as accurate, said Trevors.
A similar review is now underway at all provincial correctional facilities, he said.
Correctional managers are also working to ensure quality assurance practices will prevent similar incidents, he added.
Two other men have been charged in connection with the Saint John home invasion.
Police were called to 341 Prince St. West at about 4:30 a.m. on Nov. 3.
Officers found two stabbing victims, including an 18-year-old man, who was a suspect in a home invasion. The name of the teen, who subsequently died, has not been released.
Christopher Reid, 21, who lived in the home and was also stabbed, has elected to be tried by judge and jury on a charge of possession of a knife.
Brandon Saia, 21, has pleaded not guilty to stealing personal property, forcible entry and wearing a face mask with the intent to commit an indictable offence.
Warrants of arrest have been issued for Saia's twin brother, Bradley Saia, and a 16-year-old boy who cannot be named.
Latest New Brunswick News Headlines
- Woman granted bail in 'Baby Taylor' case
- Christine Wood will enter plea on July 3 on charge of concealing the body of a child more »
- Rare baby monkey dies at Saint John zoo
- Saint John's Cherry Brook Zoo is mourning the death of a rare Callimico goeldii monkey, born just two months ago to a mother that was snatched from the facility in 2008. more »
- Grand Manan park gets new operator
- The Boys and Girls Club of Grand Manan Island will operate Anchorage Provincial Park this season, Tourism Minister Trevor Holder announced on Tuesday. more »
- Coroner’s inquest into Chinese student’s death underway
- A Saint John police officer told a coroner's inquest she saw no signs of criminal activity in the death of a 17-year-old Chinese student who died in hospital after nearly drowning at the Canada Games Aquatic Centre in Saint John in 2011. more »
Top News Headlines
- 'Very upset' Harper wants fast Senate spending reform
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper told the Conservative caucus this morning that he's "upset" about the recent conduct of some senators and his own office, and he wants Senate spending rules tightened quickly. more »
- Children driven around too much, Canadian report suggests
- Fewer Canadian kids are commuting by walking or biking as a new report reveals a marked decline among young people using active modes of transportation. more »
- Keith Boag: Have you heard about the murderous abortion doctor?
- The gruesome trial and murder conviction of Philadelphia abortion provider Dr. Kermit Gosnell is unlikely to change American abortion law, Keith Boag writes. But it has U.S. journalists questioning their priorities and how they cover such a sensitive issue. more »
- Oklahoma tornado death count not firm, governor says
- The number of deaths caused by the Oklahoma tornado may yet rise, Gov. Mary Fallin indicates, saying there have been 237 injuries reported in the aftermath of the storm 16 kilometres south of Oklahoma City. more »
- N.B. community mourns lobster fishermen's deaths
- Moncton must address École Champlain's location
- Poisonous algae germinating N.B. lakes, say researchers
- P3 is the only option for Saint John water deal, MP says
- Ashley Smith's human rights were violated, advocate says
- Moncton cyclists raise concerns over parking trial
- Coroner’s inquest starts into Chinese student’s death
- RCMP ‘relieved’ to see charges in Baby Taylor case
- Rare baby monkey dies at Saint John zoo