First quarter financial report was withheld, Higgs says
Financial update was ready around time premier expanded cabinet
By Robert Jones, CBC News
Posted: Nov 5, 2012 1:02 PM AT
Last Updated: Nov 5, 2012 2:50 PM AT
Finance Minister Blaine Higgs says a report that showed the province's financial situation was deteriorating around the same time Premier David Alward announced an expanded cabinet was available for publication, but never released.
"We held it," Higgs told CBC News.
The report, a first quarter update on the province's financial situation, compiled in late September or early October, showed the deficit was already $51 million over budget, Higgs said.
But the province's finances were deteriorating so rapidly, he said, he didn't see the point in disclosing the report.
"I had it about a month ago or so and looked at it and we were ready to release it," Higgs said.
"But the economic condition looked to be weakening. It looked like I'd be putting out a report one month, or let's say three weeks of the next one, and there would be dramatically different shifts in the outlook."
Last week, Higgs released a second quarter financial update that showed the province's projected deficit is now $173.7 million over budget at $356.7 million.
Premier suggested figures unavailablePremier David Alward told reporters the government was focusing on a second quarter report instead. (CBC)
The finance minister's acknowledgment that a first quarter financial report was prepared by his department but not released appears to contradict statements by the premier. Alward had said the provincial government couldn't get the necessary financial information together to produce first quarter numbers.
"Historically, governments have not had access to information this early," Alward said on Oct. 19, in response to a direct question asking where the first quarter financial statements were.
Alward said the provincial government was skipping ahead to a second quarter report instead.
He also told reporters he was unsure if the deficit was on target or not.
“I can't today say specifically where it is," the premier said.
Expanded cabinet broke campaign promise
The Progressive Conservatives promised regular financial updates as part of their 2010 election platform and Higgs told reporters in August that a first quarter financial report was being worked on and would be made public in September.
However, that would have delivered bad financial news just as Alward announced a larger cabinet on Sept. 26.
The expansion of cabinet to 17 members, who were sworn in on Oct. 9, broke a campaign promise to limit the number to 15, in part to fight the deficit.
Higgs now says he held onto the first quarter numbers throughout that period and eventually they became too stale to release.
"We held it and then it got closer [to the second quarter report] and I can't put out one, one week that says this, knowing that the one next week is going to be significantly different," he said.
Latest New Brunswick News Headlines
- Bathurst council rescinds Sunday shopping bylaw
- Bathurst retailers will now be able to choose their own Sunday hours of operation after city council rescinded its Sunday shopping bylaw on Tuesday. more »
- Vandals spray-paint profanity on CFB Gagetown tank
- Veterans and Oromocto town officials are speaking out after vandals spray-painted a tank at CFB Gagetown with profanity and offensive symbols over the weekend. more »
- Dieppe drivers face long delays
- Drivers in Dieppe are being asked to be patient, after work on one of the main throughfares was delayed because of unexpected problems installing a new sanitary storm sewer. more »
- Medical residents seek more family doctor positions
- Health Minister Ted Flemming insists there are jobs for family doctors in New Brunswick, despite a letter he received from medical residents saying a provincial cap on full-time positions is forcing them to leave when they finish their training. more »
Top News Headlines
- Video forensics: How easy would it be to fake a Rob Ford video?
- Two media outlets reported last week that they had seen a cellphone video of Mayor Rob Ford allegedly smoking crack, a claim that has gone global. If a video does surface, how easy would it be to determine its authenticity? CBC News asked video forensic analyst David McKay. more »
- Oklahoma residents begin to return home after deadly tornado
- Rescue workers raced to complete the search for survivors and the dead in the Oklahoma City suburb where a mammoth tornado destroyed countless homes, cleared lots down to bare red earth and claimed 24 lives, including those of nine children. more »
- Xbox One: A closer look
- The design, performance, Kinect camera, controller, requirements and limitations of Microsoft's Xbox One get a critical look. more »
- Boil water advisory in effect across Montreal
- A boil water advisory is in effect for much of Montreal, including all areas south of the Métropolitaine, from LaSalle to Pointe-aux-Trembles and including the borough of Anjou. more »
- Stonemason sues after losing legislature contract
- Deaths of 3 fishermen could have been prevented, peers say
- New Brunswick MPs weigh in on Senate scandal
- Woman granted bail in 'Baby Taylor' case
- Grand Manan park gets new operator
- Cancer research targets treatment with fewer side effects
- Rare baby monkey dies at Saint John zoo
- Vandals spray-paint profanity on CFB Gagetown tank
- Elderly man dies in debris fire