Promoter drops Bruce Springsteen ticket sales goal
Donald Tarlton says 25,000 to 30,000 fans are expected in Moncton
Posted: Aug 17, 2012 12:13 PM AT
Last Updated: Aug 17, 2012 7:44 PM AT
The promoter for the upcoming Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band concert is lowering expectations for the size of crowd predicted in Moncton on Aug. 26.
Donald Tarlton said Friday that attracting fans to a Sunday night show at the end of August has proven to be challenging.
Moncton's mayor, George LeBlanc, made the concert announcement back in April during an interview with Q host Jian Ghomeshi.
"It's always a big announcement about the next big music act that's coming to Moncton. Well what I can tell you, Jian, is that you should come back to Moncton...on Aug. 26 to see Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band," LeBlanc said.
At the time, Moncton city manager Jacques Dube dismissed concerns that the show is on a Sunday night and predicted 50-70,000 fans would buy tickets.
In July, Halifax music industry analyst Waye Mason said he didn't think Springsteen would attract the 70,000 fans that attended concerts by U2 and the Rolling Stones.
He said future shows will probably draw closer to 20,000 or 30,000 people, noting that Springsteen’s last concerts in Montreal and Toronto only drew about 20,000 spectators.
“So when you're going to a market that has six million people within a two-hour drive and you are only playing a venue of 20,000 people, that's a really good indicator of what the expected draw might be here,” he said.
Now Tarlton says the City of Moncton was overzealous in its predictions.
"Whether or not we break attendance records is secondary to having a good time. We're going to have well over 25, 30,000 people...when you get that many you can't count," he said.
“We are not going to do the record-breaking numbers that we did for U2,” Tarlton added.
“But we have a big quorum of people coming and ticket sales are really brisk this week, so we are feeling very buoyant that we are going to have ourselves a night to remember.”
U2 drew an estimated 75,000 fans to Moncton last year.Bruce Springsteen, left, and Stevie Van Zandt perform at Fenway Park in Boston on Aug. 14. (Michael Dwyer/AP)
Concertgoers will see Tom Cochrane and Red Rider as well as The Trews open up for Springsteen.
Moncton has held a number of mega concerts since 2005, when the Rolling Stones performed at the outdoor concert venue.
Since that concert, Moncton has welcomed performers, such as Bon Jovi, AC/DC and the Eagles to the site.
Tarlton said he realizes this concert is running up against a number of factors that could limit the size of the crowd, including holding the event on a Sunday evening.
“It’s a challenge because it is not the most perfect night to run a concert especially when people sometimes have to travel up to four to six hours coming from all areas of Atlantic Canada,” he said.
The concert promoter is opting to look on the bright side of the concert ticket sales.
“If there is maybe a few less people than the city is projecting just think of how great that is for the fan cause they're going to be closer to the stage and more excited by what's happening,” he said.
For the first time ever, folding chairs are being allowed at the Magnetic Hill concert site.
Latest New Brunswick News Headlines
- Glut of Tory bills meant to stifle debate, Liberals allege
- The Alward government has launched a legislative blitz on Wednesday, with cabinet ministers introducing 16 bills four weeks before MLAs hope to break for the summer. more »
- Paramedics unable to revive Chinese student, inquest hears
- The two paramedics who responded to the near-drowning of a 17-year-old Chinese student at the Canada Games Aquatic Centre in Saint John in 2011 say they tried their best to resuscitate him, but they couldn't get his heart to beat. more »
- Duffy should resign over expense scandal, Tory MP says
- Conservative MP Mike Allen is calling for Senator Mike Duffy to resign amid the growing controversy over his expense scandal. more »
- Kent Homes in Bouctouche lands its largest contract
- Kent Homes in Bouctouche has landed the largest contract in the company's history. more »
Top News Headlines
- Harper 'not consulted' about Duffy Senate expense repayment
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper says that not only did he not know about his chief of staff's "gift" to repay Senator Mike Duffy's expenses before the story broke in the media, he was not consulted and did not sign off on Nigel Wright's decision to write a personal cheque. more »
- Mayor Ford stays silent while his brother defends him
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford continues to stonewall the media over allegations that he was recorded on video smoking what appears to be crack cocaine, but his brother Coun. Doug Ford told reporters Wednesday that the story is untrue. more »
- 'You will see him again in heaven,' Sharlene Bosma tells daughter
- Sharlene Bosma told more than 1,000 people at the public memorial service for her slain husband, Tim Bosma, about the love they shared. more »
- Rob Ford fired as Don Bosco Eagles head coach
- The Toronto Catholic District School board announced Wednesday that it was turfing Mayor Rob Ford from his position as head coach of the Don Bosco Eagles senior football team. more »
- Rothesay woman killed in domestic homicide
- Duffy should resign over expense scandal, Tory MP says
- Stonemason sues after losing legislature contract
- Deaths of 3 fishermen could have been prevented, peers say
- Vandals spray-paint profanity on CFB Gagetown tank
- Elderly man dies in debris fire
- Dieppe drivers face long delays
- Bathurst council rescinds Sunday shopping bylaw
- Woman granted bail in 'Baby Taylor' case