Military meal program cut will cause 'undue hardship'
Defence department will save $30M by cutting back on expense program
Posted: Aug 16, 2012 9:44 AM AT
Last Updated: Aug 16, 2012 11:31 AM AT
Military workers will soon see their living expenses go up when the federal government cuts a program that pays for meals and other costs when they are working away from their families.
The Department of National Defence is cutting part of the Separation Expense Benefits Program on Sept. 1, which will save an estimated $30 million.
When the military puts members on "imposed restriction” — when they are forced to move away for a short period of time, such as a year, from their family for work — it pays for their room and board.
But military members will now be forced to pay for meals and other incidental living costs starting next month when they are on imposed restriction.
Some people fear the change is going to be a hardship for many families.
Susan Gullacher’s husband was posted to CFB Cold Lake last October, but she decided to stay in the family’s mobile home near Edmonton.
'There has been no warning — nothing ... I can't even plan to make sure my family stays secure.'— Susan Gullacher
Gullacher said she thought her family could handle the separation.
But that was until the military sent them a memo earlier this month saying it was cutting her husband’s meal allowance.
"I said to him, ‘This is going to destroy us. We just don't have that money. You wouldn't be able to come home on weekends,’” she said.
Gullacher said her husband doesn't have a kitchenette in his room at the base so he would have to purchase meals in the military mess.
She said a full meal plan costs $550, which is about the same amount she used to spend on groceries to feed her entire family of four for a month.
“There has been no warning — nothing,” she said.
“It’s just 30 days and it is going to take effect. I can't even plan to make sure my family stays secure. "
Mary Chamberlain, the executive vice-president of the Union of National Defence Employees, said she has been calling for changes to the imposed restrictions program. But these changes are not what she was anticipating.
She said there were times when the program was being abused. But she said the elimination of the program is not the way to deal with the previous problems.A union official said military members will face an undue hardship because of the budget cut. (CBC)
“People should be compensated reasonably for what they're entitled to. I mean, the military is putting them in these circumstances,” Chamberlain said.
The defence department said it is looking at ways to help families who may now have trouble making ends meet.
But Chamberlain said she believes this specific change is “going to cause undue hardship in the future" for families who cannot afford to live in two places at once.
The federal government’s cuts aren’t being criticized by everyone, however.
Stephanie Sherwood’s ex-husband works at CFB Gagetown near Fredericton. She said her family got money when he was placed elsewhere for work.
But she said she doesn't think the payments are necessary.
"I understand that it's hard for families to be [apart], but under the same circumstance they need to realize that this is what happens when you get into this line of work," she said.
"It's money that comes out of our pocket that I feel could be put elsewhere."
Latest New Brunswick News Headlines
- Glut of Tory bills meant to stifle debate, Liberals allege
- The Alward government has launched a legislative blitz on Wednesday, with cabinet ministers introducing 16 bills four weeks before MLAs hope to break for the summer. more »
- Paramedics unable to revive Chinese student, inquest hears
- The two paramedics who responded to the near-drowning of a 17-year-old Chinese student at the Canada Games Aquatic Centre in Saint John in 2011 say they tried their best to resuscitate him, but they couldn't get his heart to beat. more »
- Duffy should resign over expense scandal, Tory MP says
- Conservative MP Mike Allen is calling for Senator Mike Duffy to resign amid the growing controversy over his expense scandal. more »
- Kent Homes in Bouctouche lands its largest contract
- Kent Homes in Bouctouche has landed the largest contract in the company's history. more »
Top News Headlines
- Harper 'not consulted' about Duffy Senate expense repayment
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper says that not only did he not know about his chief of staff's "gift" to repay Senator Mike Duffy's expenses before the story broke in the media, he was not consulted and did not sign off on Nigel Wright's decision to write a personal cheque. more »
- 2 infants confirmed among dead of Oklahoma tornado
- Rescue workers raced to complete the search for survivors and the dead in the Oklahoma City suburb where a mammoth tornado destroyed countless homes, cleared lots down to bare red earth and claimed 24 lives, including those of 10 children. more »
- Mayor Ford stays silent while his brother defends him
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford continues to stonewall the media over allegations that he was recorded on video smoking what appears to be crack cocaine, but his brother Coun. Doug Ford told reporters Wednesday that the story is untrue. more »
- 'You will see him again in heaven,' Sharlene Bosma tells daughter
- Sharlene Bosma told more than 1,000 people at the public memorial service for her slain husband, Tim Bosma, about the love they shared. more »
- Rothesay woman killed in domestic homicide
- Duffy should resign over expense scandal, Tory MP says
- Stonemason sues after losing legislature contract
- Deaths of 3 fishermen could have been prevented, peers say
- Vandals spray-paint profanity on CFB Gagetown tank
- Elderly man dies in debris fire
- Dieppe drivers face long delays
- Bathurst council rescinds Sunday shopping bylaw
- Woman granted bail in 'Baby Taylor' case