Moncton CFL franchise possible: commissioner
Last Updated: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 | 12:25 PM AT
CBC News
CFL commissioner Mark Cohon says the success of a game in Moncton this fall could eventually lead to a franchise for the city. (Jimmy Jeong/Canadian Press)Moncton is a frontrunner for a Canadian Football League franchise in Atlantic Canada, according to the commissioner.
A decision to expand the league won't happen quickly, Mark Cohon said.
But the success of a Sept. 26 game in Moncton — the CFL's first regular season game in Atlantic Canada — will play a role, he said.
Tickets for the game, dubbed Touchdown Atlantic, are scheduled to go on sale Wednesday.
'I think over time if there really is the community backing, you know, there's the potential, but again it will take some time.'— Mark Cohon, CFL commissioner
"We obviously want to ensure that this is a success first," Cohon said.
"And then if we can expand [the Moncton Stadium] and make it a little bit bigger and then look for local ownership . … And through this process, you know, I want to get out and meet the business leaders in the region to see if there is any interest.
"I think over time if there really is the community backing, you know, there's the potential, but again it will take some time."
The expansion fee for a franchise in Atlantic Canada would be more than $7 million, Cohon said.
Touchdown Atlantic
The Moncton game will be held at the new Moncton Stadium, which is still under construction at the University of Moncton.
"It regularly holds close to 10,000 people we're going to add another 10,000 seats," Cohon said. "But also we've looked at Moncton and it really is becoming the entertainment capital of the region."
Tickets to see the Toronto Argonauts take on the Edmonton Eskimos go on sale Wednesday for fans who pre-registered, Thursday for the general public.
Prices will range from $29 to $79, but more than half of the tickets will be less than $50.
Cohon has said the prices are affordable and he hopes this will draw spectators from across the Maritimes.
New Brunswick's government has committed $700,000 to Touchdown Atlantic, mostly in infrastructure funding.
Share Tools
Latest New Brunswick News Headlines
- Ontario district keeps schools open on storm days

- A northern Ontario school district says a policy created to keep schools in the Sudbury region open even on storm days is being embraced by parents and people in the community. more »
- Tourism operators worry about EI reforms
- Some New Brunswick tourism operators are concerned about the impact federal changes to the Employment Insurance system will have on seasonal workers. more »
- New wholesale costs being added to fuel prices on Thursday
- New Brunswick drivers will start paying more for their gasoline, diesel and heating oil on Thursday following an Energy and Utilities Board ruling on wholesale price margins. more »
- More parents planning vacations outside of March Break
- Schools are closed this week in New Brunswick for March Break but increasingly families are extending their vacations beyond traditional school holidays. more »
Top News Headlines
- Armoured car robbery survivor making 'miraculous' recovery
- The only survivor of a deadly armoured car heist at the University of Alberta in Edmonton last year is telling his story exclusively to CBC News of the night he and three colleagues were ambushed and of his miraculous recovery from a gunshot to his head.
more »
- Dad gets $22,000 data roaming 'shock' from Fido

- A B.C. dad is accusing Rogers of price gouging, after his 11-year-old mistakenly racked up $22,000 worth of data charges on his father's phone, during a family trip to Mexico. more »
- Quebec papal contender 'ready' but wary of media spotlight
- Quebec Cardinal Marc Ouellet, who is considered by some to be a leading contender for the Vatican's top post, tells CBC's Peter Mansbridge in an exclusive interview he knows he must be ready to become the next pope as cardinals prepare to select Benedict's successor. more »
- Tax season 2013 tips and tricks
- RRSP season has barely ended, and it's already time to start hunting around for those T4 slips and mislaid tax receipts. Starting today and continuing to the April 30 tax filing deadline, CBC News brings you a series of articles that will help you maximize tax breaks and avoid common missteps that could cost you money. more »
- B.C. premier faces caucus in midst of ethnic vote scandal

- One tense meeting is behind her, but Premier Christy Clark must face her full caucus today in Victoria as scandal continues to swirl over a Liberal strategy to win ethnic voters. more »
- More parents planning vacations outside of March Break
- Westjet strands flyers in Moncton during March break
- Wolf briefly escapes from Magnetic Hill Zoo
- Fredericton police investigate woman's 'sudden death'
- Tourism operators worry about EI reforms
- Eroded land among property taxed in 2013 assessment
- Drivers to pay more for gas after EUB decision
- Young people target of new sexual health study
- Via cuts heading off the rails, says transit group

