hl-vitalite health network


Visits to patients have been suspended at Stella-Maris-de-Kent Hospital in Sainte-Anne-de-Kent because of gastroenteritis.

It's the second time in a month that a hospital in the Vitalité Health Network has been closed to visitors because of an outbreak.

Luc Foulem, Vitalité spokesperson, said a handful of patients in the 20 bed facility are sick.

"We've had a number of patients that are experiencing gastroenteritis symptoms and visits were suspended at the Stella-Maris-de-Kent Hospital until these types of symptoms would disappear and at the same time to prevent further contagion of the gastroenteritis virus to patients and / or visitors," said Foulem.

The situation will be re-evaluated on Thursday, he said.

Officials are waiting for test results to see if the infection is the Norovirus which was responsible for suspended visits at Dr.-Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital in Moncton earlier this month.