Shale gas protesters continue 3-day march to SWN offices
A group of New Brunswick anti-shale gas protesters reached Cocagne today as they continue their three-day march from Elsipogtog First Nation to Moncton. They plan to hand deliver letters to SWN Resources Canada.
About a dozen people are walking along the shoulder of Highway 11, reports the CBC’s Connell Smith.
The group says it wants SWN to stop shale gas exploration activities in Kent County.
On the way to the SWN offices in Moncton, the group plans to stop at the courthouse, where people will sing and drum to protest the charges against Germain Junior Breau, of Upper Rexton, and Aaron Francis, of Eskasoni, N.S., in connection with the protests last year over seismic testing.
A protest along Highway 11 near Rexton on Oct. 17 ended in a violent clash with police. Six RCMP vehicles were set on fire and about 40 protesters were arrested.
SWN has said it does not plan to conduct any seismic testing in New Brunswick this year. Officials say SWN will survey land, do site construction, and prepare to drill the exploratory wells.