Norma Wasser, the estranged wife of Ronald Wasser, and her two sons

Norma Wasser, the estranged wife of Ronald Wasser, and their two sons, are shown here leaving the Moncton courthouse during the trial. (CBC)

A Riverview man has been sentenced to 11 years in prison for attempted murder, in connection with the shooting of his estranged wife last year.

Ronald Wasser, 49, will be given one-and-a-half years' credit for time he has already spent in custody, the Moncton courtroom heard on Wednesday.

Wasser was found guilty in March of six charges related to trying to kill Norma Wasser with a 12-gauge shotgun last May.

The couple was going through a legal separation at the time.

Ronald Wasser had been ordered by the court to be out of the family home on Kerry Court by noon on the day of the shooting, which would have been the couple's 25th wedding anniversary, the court was told during the trial.

Sentencing Judge Jean-Paul Ouellette called the crime despicable, and told Wasser he should be ashamed of himself.

He said Wasser had not expressed remorse or taken responsibility for the crime.

Norma Wasser cried softly as Ronald Wasser was sentenced. He showed no emotion.

It's not long enough," Norma Wasser told reporters as she left the courthouse.

"He deserves longer, but 10 years is good. Hopefully he doesn't get out," she said.

The couple's son, Robert Wasser, said he found the sentence "appropriate."

"I feel justice was served. That's really all I have to say," he said, adding that he's glad it's over and he hopes his mother can now move forward.

"She is a strong woman and of course it's not easy for anybody, but if anybody can do it, she can."

The Crown had been seeking a 15-year sentence, arguing the only difference between murder and attempted murder is luck.

Wasser's lawyer was asking for a sentence of between five and seven years, saying his client's actions were impulsive and not premeditated.

Wasser may have ingested up to 140 pills the day his wife was shot, the court heard during the trial.

At 5:39 a.m., he burst through her locked bedroom door and shot her in the arm, missing her vital organs by centimetres.

It took a jury three days of deliberations to find Wasser guilty on six charges: discharging a firearm with the intent to wound or endanger Norma Wasser's life, assault with a weapon, assault causing bodily harm, aggravated assault, and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.