Prosser jury continues to deliberate in murder trial

The jury in the first-degree murder trial of Fred Prosser continued to deliberate into the evening on Monday.

The jury in the first-degree murder trial of Fred Prosser continued to deliberate into the evening on Monday.

The 33-year-old Shenstone man is charged with first-degree murder, sexual assault and sexual assault causing bodily harm of his former girlfriend, Sabrina Patterson, 25.

Just after 8 p.m., the jury told the judge it was ready to retire for the night. At that point, deliberations had been ongoing for 8.5 hours. Deliberations are set to resume Tuesday at 9 a.m.

Moncton Court of Queen's Bench Justice George Rideout finished the charge to the jury late Monday morning.

The seven men and five women of the jury listened intently as the judge went over the case and explained the law.

He detailed each of the charges and the possible verdicts before handing the case over to the jury.

The jury came back twice in the afternoon with questions, but members of the public were not allowed in the courtroom to hear the questions.

Patterson, a 25-year-old mother of two from Riverview, went missing on Oct. 29, 2010. Her body was found in a wooded area near Shenstone on Nov. 6, 2010.

Several of Patterson's family members were at the courthouse on Monday. Prosser also had supporters present.

The Crown and the defence presented closing arguments in the case on Friday.

Crown prosecutor Marc Savoie told the court the Crown has proven its case with physical evidence and testimony showing Prosser's state of mind.

Savoie said Prosser had the intent and planned the murder of Patterson and that the DNA evidence backs up that claim.

He said Prosser told four people he wanted to hurt or kill Patterson and he could get away with it.

The Crown also referred to the pathologist's report which said Patterson died of manual strangulation and possible rape.

Scott Fowler, the defence lawyer, told the court the Crown did not prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt. He questioned why evidence wasn't presented in the courtroom during the six-day trial and why no time of death was given.

He also suggested given the condition of Patterson's body that it was placed on Shaw Road after Prosser was in custody.