4teens-wreckage071030

A vehicle skidded off a road north of Moncton on Monday night and crashed into a culvert. Four teenagers died at the scene.

Police have released the names of four teenagers who diedin a single-vehicle accident in eastern New Brunswick.

Johnathan McIntyre and Devan Thompson, both 16,andAlexander Day and Medard Mazerolle, both 19, diedafter their vehicle skidded from the road and struck a culvert just outside of Aldouane on Monday night, said police.

The accident happened at about 10 p.m. on Route 134 between Richibucto and St-Louis de Kent near Kouchibouguac National Park.

The resident of the home where the vehicle crashed into the driveway told CBC News he heard a loud bang and thought something had been thrown at his window. When he went outside, he found the car on fire.

All that is left of the vehicle is a pile of metal and scattered debris on surrounding property.

The wreckage of the Nissan Maxima is so mangled, area resident Paul Robichaud said, he couldn't tell whether it was from a car or truck.

The road was dry at the time of the accident, said RCMP spokesman Sgt. Derek Strong.

Three of the teenagers were thrown from the vehicle and likely weren't wearing seatbelts, said police.

All four were pronounced dead at the scene.

Police investigating if more than one car was involved

Dozens of area residents were going to the accident scene on Tuesday to mourn the loss to the close-knit communities nearby.

Police are not yet releasing many details on the accident but said speed and alcohol have not yet been ruled out as contributing factors.

Residents along the stretch of road say they heard two cars immediately before the crash and that one vehicle may have left the scene.

"We're not ruling out the possibility of two vehicles but it's still very early in the investigation," Strong said.

Several local residents have told CBC Newsstreet racing is common on the stretch of road.

Counsellors available for students

Accident reconstruction experts were on the scene on Tuesday todetermine why the car went off the road, said Strong. Police were also conducting interviews, he said.

Police said three of the victims were from St-Louis de Kent and one was from Rexton.

Counsellors will be available to students at Monsignor Marcel-François Richard school in St-Louis on Tuesday, said Gerald Richard, superintendent of District 11.

This is the second accident in the province in two months that has resulted in the death of four teens.

On Sept. 8, four 16-year-old boys were killed in a car while trying to pass another vehicle in a no-passing area outside Moncton. Their car slammed into an oncoming pickup truck.