Photographs stolen from Moncton's Assumption Gallery

Two photographs were stolen from Moncton's Assumption Gallery in a daring daylight heist.

Photographer baffled how theft could occur in busy downtown building in broad daylight

RAW: Surveillance camera footage of theft of photographs from Assumption Gallery. 4:24

Two photographs were stolen from Moncton's Assumption Gallery last week in a daring daylight heist.

Surveillance camera footage shows a man wearing a hoodie walk into the gallery, remove two, large mounted photographs from the wall, then leave the building with one under each arm.

This is one of the photographs stolen from an exhibit at Moncton's Assumption Gallery. (Sasha Onyschchenko)
The photographs were part of an exhibit of six photographs belonging to Sasha Onyschchenko.

The gallery is located in a busy building in downtown Moncton and is open between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Onyschchenko assumed his art was safe.

"It was broad daylight," said Onyschchenko. "There were people walking by and there was a guy in a black hoodie taking art work off the wall and nobody could say anything?

Sasha Onyschchenko in Assumption Gallery, with blank spaces on the wall to his left and right where two of his photographs hung before being stolen. (Jessica Doria-Brown/CBC)
"That kind of baffles my mind a little bit."

Onyschchenko planned to report the theft to the RCMP on Wednesday.

The price tags were stolen with the art, so Onyschchenko believes the thief could be trying to sell the photographs locally or online. He's confident the thief will be caught with the help of the gallery and the RCMP.

"They contacted the local pawn shops," he said. "It's a matter of time before they find it, with the amount of followers I have on social media, and friends . . . and my colleagues," he said.

"The video will spread so quickly, I think it's gonna be a matter of time, they'll figure out the identity of the suspect."

Onyschchenko's time at the gallery runs out at the end of October. He says there is not enough time for him to replace the stolen photographs.

"I was angry," said Onyschchenko. "I was on the waiting list for two years to get in here, so a lot of work went into this."


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.