A Moncton man accused of murdering 18-year-old Baylee Wylie in December and setting a house on fire has been ordered to stand trial.
Devin Morningstar, 18, had been sent for a 30-day psychiatric assessment, but was found fit to stand trial, the Moncton courtroom heard on Monday.
Morningstar, who has been in custody since his arrest on Dec. 20, will return to court on March 7 to set a trial date.
His co-accused Tyler Dominique Noel, 18, also made a brief appearance in the packed courtroom on Monday to face several new charges.
- Police continue to search for alleged murderer Marissa Shephard
- Tyler Noel, accused of murder of Baylee Wylie, makes first court appearance
- Tyler Noel arrested in Petitcodiac, wanted for murder of Baylee Wylie
Noel was charged with unlawfully entering a dwelling house with the intention of committing an offence, possessing a .22-calibre rifle for a purpose dangerous to the public, two counts of possessing a .22-rifle knowing that it was property obtained by crime and a charge of breaching a court order to not own, possess or carry any weapons.
The latest charges are related to Noel's arrest on Jan. 9, the packed courtroom heard.
Noel, who had eluded police for three weeks, was arrested with two other men in Petitcodiac after RCMP received a report of a break and enter at a cottage in Elgin.
Noel was previously charged with first-degree murder and arson in connection with Wylie's death.
Wylie's body was discovered after an early-morning house fire on Sumac Street on Dec. 17.
RCMP have not released the cause of death, but have described it as being "extremely violent."
A preliminary inquiry for Noel has been set for May 16.
The inquiry will determine if there's enough evidence to proceed to a trial. Noel will return to court on March 10 to confirm the date.
Fugitive's family 'fears the worst'
Meanwhile, police continue to search for Marissa Shephard, 20, of Moncton, who is also charged with first-degree murder and arson in connection with Wylie's death.
A Canada–wide warrant for Shephard was issued late in December, and RCMP released a video with pictures of Shephard in January, seeking the public's help.
The video has received more than 400,000 views, which is the most views any RCMP release across Canada has received, Const. Jullie Rogers–Marsh has said. But Shephard continues to elude police.
'She would have reached out to the people she knows she can trust. She hasn't reached out to me, so I fear for the worst. Her father, everyone, fears the worst.' - Stephen Nagle, father of Marissa Shephard's child
Stephen Nagle, the father of Shephard's four-year-old son, believes she is not a fugitive, but a victim.
If she was on the run, Nagle contends she would have contacted him or her family by now.
"I haven't heard from her. Her family hasn't heard from her. She hasn't done any type of contact. Marissa is an intelligent young lady, but she doesn't like to be alone," said Nagle.
"She would have reached out to the people she knows she can trust. She hasn't reached out to me, so I fear for the worst. Her father, everyone, fears the worst.
Shephard was also on methadone, said Nagle."She can't be alone," he said. "How do you get through methadone sickness? She couldn't do it at a clinic."
"There are too many factors that are really scary to think about. When you put it all together, it doesn't paint a pretty picture."