New RCMP funding deal for Moncton area
20-year contract for N.B. also signed
The provincial and federal governments have reached a new funding agreement for RCMP services in Moncton, Riverview, Dieppe and Sackville.
Starting April 1, the federal government will contribute 10 per cent of the policing costs in Greater Moncton and 30 per cent in Sackville.
Up until now, the communities have shouldered the full cost, Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe MP Robert Goguen said during an announcement Friday at the Greater Moncton International Airport.
"Under the new contract, they will pay the same cost-share ratio as any other community of their size, representing a total cost savings of approximately $2.5 million annually for the affected communities," he said.
The communities had been asking Ottawa to include them in the 10-per cent subsidy deal given to other communities across Canada policed by the RCMP for years.
The last contract between the province and the federal government was signed in 1992, before the Mounties took over policing in the affected communities.
"We are proud to have been part of the solution to these longstanding financial challenges for Greater Moncton and Sackville," said Premier David Alward.
"This is the result of a lot of hard work on all sides," he said. "I congratulate everyone involved for their co-operative spirit and willingness to work together in the best interest of the residents of Greater Moncton and Sackville."
Public Safety Minister and Solicitor General Robert Trevors agrees. "I am pleased that we have found common ground with the federal government to ensure safety and security at a fair and reasonable cost for these communities and others across the province," he said.
For Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc, it was the end of years of lobbying for a better deal. During that time, the communities considered dropping the Mounties.
"I'm very pleased that with this deal and with the 10 per cent solution, we will put to rest any questions of continued policing service in Moncton."
RCMP also secures 20-year N.B. contract
In a separate agreement, also announced Friday, the two governments have finalized a deal to maintain the RCMP as the provincial police force for the next 20 years.
The new contract runs from April 1, 2012, to March 31, 2032, and will give the provincial government greater control over staffing levels, policing standards and the construction of new detachments.
It covers much of the province, including 75 municipalities, four rural communities and all but two of the province's 266 local service districts.
There are 13 municipalities with separate agreements with the federal government for RCMP services.