Neighbours ran into a burning home and rescued a family's dog after a fire engulfed a house in Quispamsis Saturday morning.

No one was at home at the time of the fire. Both the roof and the garage of the house were completely destroyed, and fire crews had to take down part of the structure with in order to completely extinguish the flames.

"When our first arriving crews got on scene, they reported heavy smoke and heavy flame on the garage side of the exterior," said Fire Chief Bill Ireland with the Kennebecasis Valley Fire Department.

"We initiated what we call a defensive fire attack, try to knock down the fire as quickly as we could."

NB Power had to turn off power to the entire block.

Kathryn Matthews owns the home and said she was at work when she found out about the fire.

Matthews' husband told CBC News he had just gone out to the grocery store and came back to find his house on fire.

Matthews said she wasn’t sure where her family would stay.

"I can't think past this minute. I have no idea where we're going, what we're going to do," she said.