The New Brunswick Community College's head office in downtown Fredericton was evacuated on Friday morning after a contractor found a substance that could be asbestos.

Michelle Wilcott, a spokesperson for the college, said work has been happening on the building's ventilation system.

On Friday, the contractor notified the college that asbestos had been potentially found in the ceiling plaster.

"No further intrusive work was conducted and there was no risk to employees' health," the statement said.

"However, as a precautionary measure, we opted to close the building for the remainder of the day."

More tests will be conducted on Friday and Wilcott said officials are confident the building will be open on Monday.