NB Power asks customers to unplug before power is restored

There are still more than 50,000 people without electricity, four days after post-tropical storm Arthur swept through New Brunswick.

Storm Arthur leaves 50,000 without power in New Brunswick

Crews hook up generators to get the phone networks back up and running 2:09

There are still more than 50,000 people without electricity, four days after post-tropical storm Arthur swept through New Brunswick.

NB Power announced on Monday it could still be several days until power is restored to some customers around the province.

The utility is asking those customers who are still without power to unplug their electrical items.

This beta map of NB Power outages remaining from post-tropical storm Arthur shows areas with 100 or more in blue, those with between 10 and 100 in green, and areas with under 10 in purple. (NB Power)

"This 'cold load pickup' is causing repeat outages as we restore power and slowing our progress," NB Power posted on Twitter.

"It's much like tripping a circuit breaker in your home if your running the hairdryer and watching the TV and using the toaster," said the utility's Meghan Gerrish.

The largest outage remains in Fredericton, where 27,184 customers were still in the dark as of 9 p.m. AT on Tuesday.

There were also 7,600 customers without electricity in Woodstock, 7,161 in St. Stephen and 5,420 in Rothesay.

The greatest area of challenge remains NB Power’s distribution system, which has been damaged by hundreds of large downed trees and broken branches.

Gerrish​ said most of the outages should be repaired by Wednesday night, but about 1,500 will have to wait until the weekend, a full seven days after post-tropical storm Arthur hit the region.

"We are reaching out to those customers individually to speak to them and just to check in and see how people are doing, those who are going to be without power beyond the weekend," said Gerrish.

Crews restored power to Windsor Court seniors' home in Fredericton earlier today. (Redmond Shannon/CBC)

The high winds and heavy rain brought by the post-tropical storm caused power interruptions for about 200,000 customers throughout the weekend, the utility said. About 140,000 customers were without power at the peak of the outages.

NB Power is aiming to have power back on for 80 per cent of its customers within five days. The remaining 20 per cent should have their power back on by the weekend.

More than 200 crews were working in New Brunswick on Monday, trying to restore power. Additional crews came from Maine and Quebec to help NB Power.


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.