Notifications

'Even the goldfish': Salvation Army Thrift Store evacuated after fire

Staff and customers — and even a goldfish — were evacuated from a Salvation Army thrift store in Moncton Saturday after a fire broke out in a backroom storage area.

Moncton thrift store suffers water, smoke damage after fire breaks out in clothing bins

The Salvation Army Thrift Store on Mountain Road in Moncton suffered smoke and water damage after a fire Saturday. (Radio-Canada/Margaud Castadère)

Staff and customers — and even a goldfish — were evacuated from a Salvation Army Thrift Store in Moncton Saturday after a fire broke out in a backroom storage area.

Three large bins of clothing were on fire when Moncton firefighters arrived on scene at about 6:15 p.m., said platoon Chief Paul Bruens.

Moncton frefighters saved a goldfish from the fire at the Salvation Army Thrift Store. (Radio-Canada/Margaud Castadère)

"The fire grew quickly and intensely and activated the building sprinkler system," he said.

The fire was out with about 15 minutes, Bruens said. Most of the damage was from water and smoke.

"The thrift store quickly filled with smoke so it took a little while to safely ventilate the building to make sure occupants could return."

There were no injuries, Bruens said. Firefighters went so far as to take a fish bowl from one of the offices.

"Everybody got out safely," Bruens said. "Even the goldfish."

With files from Stephanie vanKampen