Moncton RCMP memorial Father's Day run draws worldwide interest
3K for 3 Fathers event will raise money for families of Mounties killed last week
A running event being held in Moncton this weekend to raise money for the families of the three local RCMP officers who were shot and killed last week is attracting participants from as far away as Brazil and France.
About 1,400 people in the southeastern New Brunswick city have already signed up for the "3KM For 3 Fathers" memorial Father's Day run/walk on Sunday, said Armand Doucet, one of the organizers.
But many others are signing up online through the Moncton Running Room for a "virtual run," he said.
"We've got people from all over Alberta, Quebec, Ontario, Saskatchewan — they've called and said, 'We don't have a Running Room, but we're still going to do it. What do we need to do?'
"So it's been really incredible for us to see the amount of support — and not just from Canada, we have somebody from Rio de Janeiro that signed up, somebody from Paris."
Codiac Regional RCMP constables Fabrice Georges Gevaudan, Dave Joseph Ross and Douglas James Larche were shot to death in the line of duty on June 4. Two other officers were wounded by the gunman.
Gevaudan and Larche were both runners, said Armand, a middle school teacher who recently ran 30 kilometres for 30 days to inspire youth to get fit.
RCMP members will attend the run, dressed in their red serge uniforms, to cheer the runners on, said Armand.
Participants and spectators are also encouraged to wear red to show their support.
The registration fee is $20 and all proceeds will be divided equally into the BMO trust fund for the fallen RCMP officers, said Armand.
The run begins on Sunday at 8:30 a.m. Online registration closes on Saturday at noon.
There are other initiatives ongoing to help the families of the three officers killed.
The RCMP has established the Moncton Fallen RCMP Members Fund. Donations are being accepted through the official fund website.
A texting campaign, organized by former New Brunswick premier Bernard Lord, raised $50,000 in 24 hours. Anyone who wants to donate can text "Moncton" to the numbers 4-5-6-7-8. Donors will be asked to confirm a $20 donation, which will appear on their next phone bill.
At the same time, RCMP are reminding people to be wary of scams that seek to capitalize on the tragedy.
Justin Bourque, 24, of Moncton, is charged with three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder in connection with the shootings.
He is scheduled to return to court on July 3.