Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc says the city cemented its reputation as a first-class concert destination last week when it announced Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band would perform in August.

Springsteen is launching the summer portion of the 2012 "Wrecking Ball" World Tour on Aug. 18 in Boston and Moncton will be the third show in the tour.

The city expects between 50,000 and 70,000 fans to attend the Aug. 26 outdoor concert.

LeBlanc said the Springsteen concert further solidifies Moncton's reputation as a top concert venue.

"He's only doing two dates in Canada, one is in Toronto, the other one's in Moncton. And we have a reputation here of being the smallest place with the biggest concerts. So I think it's fantastic," he said.

City officials say they've been working on bringing the Springsteen concert to Magnetic Hill since last fall.

Jacques Dubé, the city manager in Moncton, said they're expecting to draw people from around the region to the mega concert.

"The potential for Bruce Springsteen having Moncton, as one of two sites in Canada, of having a very large turnout and a draw from Quebec from New England [and] from all of Atlantic Canada is very high," he said.

"So we believe that the business case here is very good."

Tickets for the outdoor concert will go on sale on April 21. General admission tickets will be $115.

The concert is being produced by AEG Live and Donald K Donald.

Springsteen is coming to Moncton a year after the city hosted U2.

The iconic Irish rock band drew 75,000 fans to the Magnetic Hill outdoor concert site last July.

The mega concerts started in 2005, when the Rolling Stones performed at the outdoor concert venue.

Since that concert, Moncton has welcomed performers, such as Bon Jovi, AC/DC and the Eagles, at the site.