Park golfer

Mike Delahunt is scheduled to return to court on June 6 to face the assault charge and again on Nov. 5 on the charge of breaching conditions of his release. (CBC)

The so-called park golfer, who made headlines last fall for allegedly assaulting a man who confronted him about using Moncton's Victoria Park as a driving range, has pleaded not guilty to breaching the conditions of his release.

Mike Delahunt had been ordered by the court to stay out of all municipal parks and to have no direct or indirect contact with the alleged victim, Fred Leidemer, or his wife, Karen.

Leidemer says he saw Delahunt golfing by the park on April 12.

But Delahunt contends he is respecting the conditions of his release and has stayed away from the park. Earlier this month, he told CBC News he was golfing on the sidewalk and not in the park.

The Crown alleges Delahunt breached the condition of his release to have no direct or indirect contact with Leidemer.

Fred Leidemer

Fred Leidemer says he saw Mike Delahunt golfing by the park on April 12. (Jessica Doria-Brown/CBC)

A trial on the alleged breach will be held on Nov. 5.

Meanwhile, Delahunt is scheduled to face the assault causing bodily harm charge on June 6.

Last September, Leidemer said his wife was almost hit by a golf ball while walking along the park, so he confronted the golfer. He alleges the golfer shoved and punched him and he suffered a broken arm and a missing tooth.

Delahunt was arrested by the RCMP in connection with the altercation and charge.

The City of Moncton now prohibits golfing in city parks. It amended a bylaw in December at Leidemer's request and violators can face fines of up to $1,070.