Moncton man faces 1st-degree murder charge in Shediac killing
5 men now facing charges in relation to violent home invasions
A 19-year-old Moncton man will be in court on Monday to face almost a dozen charges, including one of first-degree murder, in connection with two violent home invasions in New Brunswick last week.
Daniel Steven Dion, 19, and John Marc Gallant, 19, were arrested outside of Bathurst on Friday night and are now looking at a long list of charges stemming from incidents on March 10 that left two Moncton men badly beaten and a Shediac man dead.
Dion is facing 11 charges, including first-degree murder, assault with a weapon and wearing a mask while committing an offence.
Gallant has been charged with assisting and enabling Dion to escape while knowing he had committed murder and three other related charges.
Both Dion and Gallant are expected to appear in Moncton provincial court on Monday afternoon.
RCMP Cpl. Mike Gaudet said officers near Bathurst spotted a small, light-coloured car on Friday and the two men were arrested without incident.
Gaudet said the information turned over by the public in the days after the violent home invasions helped police make the arrest.
3 more men charged
The RCMP announced on Monday that Cole Alexander McFadden, 18, Joshua Daniel Martin, 19, and Marc Mathieu LeBlanc, 18, have been charged with manslaughter along with several other charges connected with the same two house invasions.
The RCMP arrested the three men on Sunday.
The first violent incident occurred around 1:30 a.m. last Tuesday at a north-end Moncton neighbourhood. Two men, aged 19 and 22, say they were beaten up by men dressed in hoodies and dark-coloured clothing.
At 3 a.m. in Shediac, roughly 25 kilometres away, three masked men broke into a house, and after an altercation, Laine MacDonald, 32, was killed.