A 10-year-old child in Moncton was rescued from abuse as part of Operation Snapshot III targeting child sex offenders, say the RCMP.
Seven files in New Brunswick are active under the national operation and three people have been charged with multiple charges of child sexual abuse,
"With every investigation and seizure of child sexual abuse images, we are attempting to prevent numerous children from becoming victims in the future," said Insp. Kevin Leahy, who is the RCMP officer in charge of the New Brunswick Internet Child Exploitation Unit.
"The investigations in New Brunswick are continuing with the potential for many more charges."
In the case involving the 10-year-old in Moncton, a 33-year-old man pleaded guilty to five charges after a search warrant was executed at at residence in Moncton.
The man cannot be identified due to a court-imposed publication ban to protect the identity of the victim. He was sentenced to two years in prison, with sentencing still pending on some charges.
The charges were for possessing child pornography, making available child pornography, surreptitiously observing a young person in circumstances that give rise to a reasonable expectation of privacy and surreptitiously making a recording of a young person in circumstances where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy.
Details from the other New Brunswick cases in Operation Snapshot III include:
- A 28-year-old man in Bouctouche was charged with accessing child pornography and making child pornography available. He is scheduled to enter a plea in court on June 25.
- A search warrant executed at a residence in Saint John in February resulted in a 35-year-old man being charged with possession of child pornography and making child pornography available. The accused man is scheduled to appear in court on July 28.
- A 35-year-old man from Saint-Quentin is schedule to appear in court on July 10 after computer equipment was seized under a sear warrant in April.
- A search warrant was executed at a resident in Lakeville in April, leading to the seizure of computer equipment. That investigation continues.
- Search warrants were executed at residences in Moncton and Riverview on June 4 in connection with two separate investigations. A 34-year-old man was arrested and is to appear in court at a later date.
Nationally, the operation resulted in five children being rescued from abusive situations and 343 charges being laid, say RCMP.