Mixup in moose licences causes confusion
Some hunters told they received 'false confirmation' their names were drawn for coveted licence
The Department of Natural Resources is investigating why a small number of online applicants were wrongly informed they had been granted a licence for this year's annual moose hunt.
The three-day hunt, which begins on Thursday, attracts more than 65,000 applicants hoping to be drawn for one of fewer than 5,000 moose licences.
But last week, the department advised that due to a computer error, some applicants who obtained a moose licence in 2011 and who checked online the results of this year's draw may have received a false confirmation that they were successful for the 2013 hunt.
It is not clear how many hunters may have been affected by the problem. Natural Resources spokesperson Anne Bull puts the number at "less than a handful."
According to Natural Resources, only one per cent of applicants were successful in obtaining their licences twice between 2007 and 2012.
No matter how few hunters were affected, it has them talking, said Lori Craft, the manager of Better Buy Sports.
"I've heard that there was a glitch with the computer systems with DNR as far as the 2013 moose draw goes," said Craft.
Douglas Carter, a longtime hunter, said if any of the affected hunters have already prepared to head out for the three-day hunt, the computer glitch could prove costly for them.
"Take your vehicle, buy your gas, buy all your food, buy all your clothing, your guns, your ammunition, stuff like that – it's an expensive sport," said Carter.
DNR wants anyone who received online confirmation that their name was drawn but did not receive a follow-up confirmation letter, to contact the department.