Man sentenced to 5 years for sex attacks on Moncton women
Akili Olivier Koro previously pleaded guilty to eight charges involving four women
A man from Sainte-Marie-de-Kent has been sentenced to five years in prison for violent sexual attacks on four women in Moncton in 2012.
Akili Olivier Koro, 32, had previously pleaded guilty to eight charges, including assault causing bodily harm, unlawful confinement of two women, sexual assault with a knife and aggravated sexual assault.
Eight other charges were dropped.
Two of the victims told CBC News justice was not served during the sentencing hearing in Moncton provincial court on Friday.
The Crown asked for and received the minimum five-year sentence, minus time served.
The two victims, who read their victim impact statements aloud for the courtroom, both talked about the emotional and physical trauma they've suffered.
More than one year after the attacks, they say they continue to relive them, are scared to be alone and endure sleepless nights.
One woman said she suffers from thoughts of suicide and has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder.
The second victim said she's now uncomfortable in intimate settings with men. She said Koro drove her home after the attack, and because he knew where she lived, she was scared he'd return to attack her again. She has since given up her apartment in the city and moved to a small town.
In all four cases, the victims were walking around St. George Street between midnight and 3 a.m. when they were approached by Koro and willingly got into his car, RCMP have said.
He then drove the women to another location where he assaulted them.
One victim previously said Koro bit her arm several times.
Another woman said she lost vision in one eye and suffered hearing loss.
The defence said Koro was suffering from depression at the time of the attacks.
He now has cancer and has been receiving treatment for a month, the lawyer said.
Justice Jean-Paul Ouellette asked Koro if he had anything to say. "I have no questions," Koro replied.
Ouellette asked if Koro had any comments. Koro shook his head and said, "No."
The judge then asked if Koro had anything to say to the victims. Koro paused for a moment, then shook his had and said, "No."
Koro has been in custody since his arrest more than a year ago.