Man hospitalized after Saint John apartment fire

A Saint John man is recovering in the hospital after being injured in an apartment fire in the city's south end.

Fire officials do not know when 4 people will return to their homes

A Saint John man is in hospital being treated for injuries after a Sunday night apartment fire in the city’s south end.

Fire crews were called to 150 Britain Street at around 10:15 p.m. on Sunday.

When they arrived, smoke could be seen coming out of an upstairs apartment and witnesses told firefighters a man was still somewhere inside the two-storey building.  

Rescuers located the man, who had been overcome by smoke, and pulled him to safety.

The man and three others will need to find a new place to stay for the near future.

Fire officials say they don't know when the residents will be able to return to their homes.