The Liberals have disqualified Daniel Bourgeois, a Moncton city councillor, from contesting a Moncton riding nomination for the party, citing serious allegations.
Liberal MP Dominic LeBlanc, the election campaign's co-chairperson, said the decision to block Bourgeois from running for the party's nomination in Moncton Southwest stems from a review that started in April.
"Information containing serious allegations came to the party's attention," LeBlanc said in a statement.
"After careful and lengthy consideration, the decision was made to withdraw Mr. Bourgeois' eligibility for nomination."
The party would not elaborate on the nature of the allegations for privacy and confidentiality reasons.
Ellen Creighton, the party's executive director, said potential candidates agree when they sign up that any review of their eligibility will be confidential.
LeBlanc also said other concerns were raised about Bourgeois.
"There has been public coverage of Mr. Bourgeois recruiting new members and urging them to just sign up long enough to get him nominated. We also received reports regarding the use of intimidation and threatening language," LeBlanc stated.
"We have no tolerance for the politics of slander and bullying in our organization."
The Moncton Southwest nomination will be held on June 25.
Bourgeois told CBC News on Thursday that he withdrew from the race voluntarily last week.
He said he backed out of the race because of "internal party matters," but he did not specify.
Bourgeois was first elected to Moncton council in 2008 and re-elected in 2012.
Bourgeois said in December 2012 that he was going to resign from Moncton city council because his outspoken style was making it difficult for him to find a job. However, he never followed through on the promise.
Tyson Milner is the only other person listed on the Liberal Party's website as running for the Moncton Southwest nomination.