Justin Bourque, the man accused of killing three Moncton Mounties and wounding two others earlier this month, has hired a veteran defence lawyer.
David Lutz, who has been practising law since 1977, confirmed on Thursday, he has been retained to represent Bourque.
Lutz, a partner in the Hampton-based firm Lutz Longstaff, told CBC News that he will be with Bourque at his next scheduled court appearance on July 3, but declined any further comment.
"There's nothing else I can tell you at this point. Whatever else I have to say I can only say it in a court on July 3," Lutz said in an email.
Bourque, 24, of Moncton, is charged with three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder in connection with the June 4 shootings.
He has not entered any pleas.
Bourque was arrested just after midnight on June 6, following a two-day manhunt that involved hundreds of police officers from across the country and saw much of the southeastern New Brunswick city locked down.
He was charged in Moncton provincial court later that same day and was represented by court-assigned counsel Michel DesNeiges.
Neither DesNeiges nor the Crown requested a psychiatric evaluation at the time.
It's unclear whether Lutz will request an assessment.
Lutz's practice areas include criminal law, family law and personal injury.
Three RCMP officers were shot and killed by a heavily armed gunman on June 4:
- Const. Douglas James Larche, 40, from Saint John.
- Const. Dave Joseph Ross, 32, from Victoriaville, Que.
- Const. Fabrice Georges Gevaudan, 45, originally from Boulogne-Billancourt, France.
Constables Éric Stéphane J. Dubois and Marie Darlene Goguen were also wounded in the attack.