Jasper Stam pleads guilty to uttering threats about police
Moncton man released under strict conditions, including no contact with Justin Bourque
A Moncton man accused of threatening to kill police has pleaded guilty to uttering threats about police.
Jasper John Stam, 25, entered the plea in provincial court on Wednesday when he was scheduled to have a bail hearing.
Stam had originally been charged with uttering threats to cause death to police officers. The threats were allegedly made between May 10 and 18.
He pleaded guilty to the slightly reworded charge of uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm about police to another person.
The specifics of the offence were not revealed in court, but it is an indictable offence and carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison.
A sentencing hearing will be held on Sept. 9 at 1:30 p.m.
Meanwhile, Stam has been released under strict conditions.
No-contact order with Justin Bourque continues
He remains under an order to have no contact with Justin Bourque, the suspect in the Moncton shootings that left three Mounties dead and two others wounded on June 4.
No explanation for the no-contact order has been provided, but police have said it is not connected to the ongoing investigation into the shootings.
"That will be become, I think, more obvious and more clarified on September 9th. I can not really comment on that," his lawyer Jean Cormier told reporters outside the courthouse.
Stam, who kissed and hugged supporters and was overjoyed to have a cigarette after spending 10 days in custody, declined to comment.
"I got nothing to say. I'm going home," he said.
As part of his release, Stam is under house arrest.
He is only allowed to leave his Bonaccord Street home for work or job interviews, medical necessities or appointments, to attend Stam family events at Notre-Dame with prior approval of the RCMP, for religious purposes, and for three hours on Sundays for "personal needs."
Stam was also ordered to obtain a land line telephone within 10 days, to provide the number to the RCMP and to answer the land line if police call him and to present himself at his door if police attend to ensure he is complying with his conditions.
He cannot possess or own any firearms or prohibited weapons, must not have access to the internet and must keep the peace and be of good behaviour.
Stam had been ordered last week to undergo a five-day psychiatric assessment and was deemed fit to stand trial,his lawyer told reporters.
Bourque, 24, is charged with three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder in connection with the shootings.
He is scheduled to return to court on July 3.