Jasper Stam

Jasper Stam, who is charged with threatening to kill police, has been in custody since June 9. (Facebook)

A Moncton man accused of threatening to kill police has been found mentally fit to stand trial, according to his lawyer.

Jasper John Stam, 25, was scheduled to appear in Moncton provincial court on Monday for a bail hearing, but the matter was adjourned until Wednesday due to "time constraints."

Stam had been ordered last week to undergo a five-day psychiatric assessment to determine his fitness to stand trial.

His lawyer Jean Cormier told reporters outside the courthouse the evaluation has been completed and Stam has been found fit.

Stam remains under an order to have no contact with Justin Bourque, the suspect in the Moncton shootings that left three Mounties dead and two others wounded on June 4.

No explanation for the no-contact order has been provided, but police have said it is not connected to the ongoing investigation into the shootings.

Stam is charged with uttering threats to cause death to police officers. The threats were allegedly made between May 10 and 18.

​He has been in custody since June 9.

Bourque, 24, is charged with three counts of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder in connection with the shootings.

He is scheduled to return to court on July 3.