in-nb-robert-trevors-220

Public Safety Minister Robert Trevors says the inmate in question is now back in custody. (CBC)

A New Brunswick inmate who was released by mistake from a Saint John jail last month is now facing charges in a home invasion that resulted in a death, CBC News has learned.

The Department of Public Safety issued a statement on Friday about an early release that has sparked a review of all case files and quality assurance processes in provincial correctional institutions.

"I regret to inform the public that an individual was released in error from the Saint John Regional Correctional Centre," Public Safety Minister and Solicitor General Robert Trevors said in the statement.

The inmate was released on Oct. 15, then arrested by the Saint John police on an unrelated matter on Nov. 4, he said.

Department spokeswoman Deborah Nobes said the provincial government is prevented by law from releasing any information about the inmate.

But CBC News has learned that the man in question is Ronald McCutcheon, 20, who was arrested on Nov. 4 in connection with a west Saint John home invasion that resulted in a death.

McCutcheon has been charged with robbery in that case and has elected to be tried by judge and jury.

In September, McCutcheon was sentenced to nine months in jail on 11 unrelated charges, including fraudulent use of a credit card, mischief, breaching a court undertaking and resisting a constable.

Public safety is 'primary concern'

"The safety of the public is our primary concern at all times, and corrections staff are now reviewing the incident internally and working to ensure similar incidents do not happen in future," the minister said.

The department has reviewed all records related to the inmate in question and all other offenders at the Saint John Regional Correctional Centre have been reviewed and confirmed as accurate, said Trevors.

A similar review is now underway at all provincial correctional facilities, he said.

Correctional managers are also working to ensure quality assurance practices will prevent similar incidents, he added.

Two other men have been charged in connection with the Saint John home invasion.

Police were called to 341 Prince St. West at about 4:30 a.m. on Nov. 3.

Officers found two stabbing victims, including an 18-year-old man, who was a suspect in a home invasion. The name of the teen, who subsequently died, has not been released.

Christopher Reid, 21, who lived in the home and was also stabbed, has elected to be tried by judge and jury on a charge of possession of a knife.

Brandon Saia, 21, has pleaded not guilty to stealing personal property, forcible entry and wearing a face mask with the intent to commit an indictable offence.

Warrants of arrest have been issued for Saia's twin brother, Bradley Saia, and a 16-year-old boy who cannot be named.