The federal government is giving $750,000 towards preventing violence against women in Atlantic Canada. 

Fredericton MP Keith Ashfield and Kellie Leitch, minister of status of women, made the announcement Wednesday, promising funding for five programs.

More than half of that funding will be split between programs in New Brunswick, including Fredericton's Sexual Assault Crisis Centre.  

Leitch said one of the programs will focus on preventing cyber violence against women and girls. 

"Violence against women and girls has a terrible impact on individuals, families and communities. We must send a strong message that these abhorrent acts of violence will not be tolerated in our society,” said Leitch.

“That’s why we are proud to support community-based projects that support victims and improve services that prevent and respond to cyber and sexual violence."

Lorraine Whalley, executive director of the Fredericton Sexual Assault Crisis Centre, said the program will help address some of their current needs.

“Many service providers and agencies in our community and I know communities across the region feel that they are not fully equipped,” she said. “We've done a lot of work to try and enhance their awareness and their skills but we also recognize there is a real need for collaborative services.”

Earlier this year, ministers for the Status of Women in Atlantic Canada say they are trying to take action against the "hypersexualization" of girls by promoting an educational website called Cybersafe Girl.

Status of Women Canada is providing funding to the following organizations:

  • Fredericton Sexual Assault Crisis Centre ($156,897)
  • Newfoundland and Labrador Sexual Assault Crisis and Prevention Centre ($144,578)
  • L’Escale MadaVic ($152,854)
  • Prince Edward Island Rape and Sexual Assault Centre ($134,685)
  • New Brunswick Association of Social Workers ($175,000)