Fredericton, Base Gagetown step up security after Ottawa shootings
Front door of City Hall now locked, based closed to recreational use
The City of Fredericton and 5th Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown have both announced new security measures, following the shootings in Ottawa on Wednesday.
The front doors of City Hall will now be locked "in light of the increased awareness around security issues," city spokesman Wayne Knorr said in a statement issued on Friday afternoon.
Starting Monday, members of the public are asked to use the service centre entrance at the back of the building, Knorr said, calling it a "temporary measure."
Meanwhile, 5 CDSB is no longer allowing people to use the base for recreational activities, such as hunting and fishing.
Safety and operational concerns are paramount and the main consideration in all decisions related to recreational use of the range and training area.- 5th Canadian Division Support Base Gagetown
The change takes effect immediately and will remain in place until further notice.
"Safety and operational concerns are paramount and the main consideration in all decisions related to recreational use of the range and training area," a statement issued on Friday said.
Previously, members of the public could get permission to access parts of the 1,100-square kilometre property in Oromocto.
"We acknowledge that this precaution may be disappointing to some but we thank the public for their understanding and support," the statement said.
An additional security measure of checking identification at all three entrances will also continue until further notice.
The ID checks, which started on Thursday, snarled traffic for hours.
"The surrounding community should expect traffic delays, particularly at peak travel times, which are early morning and noon," the statement on Friday said.
"We acknowledge that these precautions will cause some disturbance to the public and we thank them for their understanding and support."
CAF members will also refrain from wearing their military uniform outside of their place of work to "reduce unnecessary risks," it said.
Canadian reservist Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, 24, was shot and killed while standing guard at the war memorial and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier on Wednesday.
On Monday, two members of the military were struck with a car in a St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que., parking lot. Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent later died.