Frank Deschênes, 'consummate Mountie'
Colleagues of constable who died in roadside crash show their respect in Moncton
By Nathalie Sturgeon, Maria Jose Burgos, CBC News Posted: Sep 20, 2017 6:41 PM AT Last Updated: Sep 21, 2017 10:53 AM AT
Family, friends, police officers and first responders paid their respects Wednesday to Frank Deschênes, described by the highest-ranking person on the force as the "consummate Mountie."
"One thing is certain, Frank did not die in vain," Daniel Dubeau, the acting commissioner of the RCMP, said at the funeral in Moncton for Deschênes, 35, who died trying to help stranded motorists near Memramcook.
Deschênes "absolutely loved his job, and it showed every time he put on his uniform," friend Sgt. Dave Connors said in the eulogy.
"[He always] wanted to be the one to help people that need help."
The red serge of the RCMP uniform dominated the procession to St. Bernard's Catholic Church and the inside of the church.
Latest New Brunswick News Headlines
It's that time of year again. CBC New Brunswick's investigative reportin' Gas Guru Robert Jones unfurls his predictions for the year ahead.
Woonerfs are meant to be pedestrian-friendly streets but Fredericton's version has an unusual characteristic: free 30-minute parking that might attract more cars than people to this area.
A Dalhousie councillor was once again thrown out of a town meeting on Monday night, after refusing to apologize to the mayor and other members of council for allegedly swearing and insulting colleagues and staff.
Does the Inclusion program need to be modified? If it is modified, what changes would be appropriate? The political panel addresses those points.
Top News Headlines
- People forced from homes in freezing temperatures with 24 hours notice
- Saint John police chief surprises many with retirement announcement
- Man leads police on high-speed pursuit through Fredericton's north side
- New Medavie president pledges to maintain extramural health services
- Bail for convicted toddler killer a possible 1st for New Brunswick
- Birdwatchers gather for annual Christmas count, hoping for a rare sighting
- Codiac RCMP investigate suspicious fire at Moncton rooming house
- Fail Wars: Fans 'very disappointed' with Star Wars sound issues
- UNB prof seeks to level the playing field in video games for out-of-touch parents
- College suspends family doctor for 1 year for 'improper relationship' with patient
- U.S. man accused in Mountie's death will have to come to Canada for sentencing
- Missing New Brunswick man found slain in Nova Scotia woods