Frank Deschênes, 'consummate Mountie'
Colleagues of constable who died in roadside crash show their respect in Moncton
By Nathalie Sturgeon, Maria Jose Burgos, CBC News Posted: Sep 20, 2017 6:41 PM AT Last Updated: Sep 21, 2017 10:53 AM AT
Family, friends, police officers and first responders paid their respects Wednesday to Frank Deschênes, described by the highest-ranking person on the force as the "consummate Mountie."
"One thing is certain, Frank did not die in vain," Daniel Dubeau, the acting commissioner of the RCMP, said at the funeral in Moncton for Deschênes, 35, who died trying to help stranded motorists near Memramcook.
Deschênes "absolutely loved his job, and it showed every time he put on his uniform," friend Sgt. Dave Connors said in the eulogy.
"[He always] wanted to be the one to help people that need help."
The red serge of the RCMP uniform dominated the procession to St. Bernard's Catholic Church and the inside of the church.
Latest New Brunswick News Headlines
Master carpenter Jeremy Burrill felt boxed out of the casket market by local funeral homes. So he came up with an Ikea-like alternative for $699.
University of New Brunswick student Javon Masters is only 26 points away from becoming the all-time leading scorer in U Sports basketball history.
Heavy rain caused water levels to rise in Hoyt, N.B., on Saturday morning. The small New Brunswick community was decimated by flooding.
The small New Brunswick community was decimated by flooding like many parts of New Brunswick.
Top News Headlines
- How Cambridge Analytica, firm at the centre of Facebook furor, stumbled into the spotlight
- Liberals establish road map for talks to legislate a right to housing
- 'We are the change': Students lead massive rallies for gun control
- The road map and road blocks of Trump's transgender troops ban explained
- Hold on to the whole rim or don't win, lifelong Tim Hortons customer learns
- Naked images from website haunt New Brunswick woman 5 years later
- Overcrowding forces Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont Hospital to divert ER patients to Moncton Hospital
- Mixed-gender changing room at St. Stephen Middle School causes stir among parents
- Psychologists prefer not to work in New Brunswick schools, groups say
- Devin Morningstar again refuses to testify at Marissa Shephard's murder trial
- 16 vintage N.B. newspaper ads you'd never see today
- Sports panel tackles inclusion, equality and inspiring change
- Syrian newcomer's dream of university finally comes true
- N.B. Heart Centre offers new, less invasive alternative to open heart surgery
- Armed robbery part of busy night for Fredericton police
- 'Share a spare': Man in need of kidney hoping car signs will lead to a donor