Fire strikes Fredericton apartment building

A child was sent to hospital with injuries sustained while escaping an early morning fire in a Fredericton apartment building.

Child treated in hospital for burns, 7 people displaced by blaze at Neville Street complex

A child was sent to hospital with injuries sustained in an early morning fire in a Fredericton apartment building on Friday.

The fire at 21 Neville St. was reported to the Fredericton Fire Department at 8:11 a.m.

Acting platoon chief Dwayne Killingbeck says the cause of a fire in a Neville Street apartment Friday morning is under investigation. (CBC)
"When we arrived it was fully involved with flames coming out of the upstairs bedroom," said acting platoon captain Dwayne Killenbeck.

Four people were in the apartment at the time. All of them got out of the unit.

The number of people who live in the building was unknown by Killenbeck at the scene, but Dan Bedell of the Red Cross said seven people were displaced by the blaze — three adults and four children ranging in age from five to eight.

A visiting child was treated in hospital for burns but later released, said Bedell.

The Red Cross is assisting the seven residents with emergency purchases, such as clothing and personal care items, he said.

The New Brunswick Housing Authority, which managed the building, arranged emergency lodging, Bedell said.

The majority of the damage was in an upstairs bedroom and attic, with smoke and water damage in other areas, he said.

The other three units were initially evacuated, but those tenants were later allowed to return home, said Bedell.

The fire was declared under control at 9:01 a.m.

Neighbour Marg Coyle was awoken from her sleep by the commotion resulting from the fire.

"I was sleeping. I heard children screaming and screaming and I thought they were just at the school bus this morning, and then I smelled smoke," she said. "So I automatically thought our building was on fire."

Coyle said two young boys live in the unit.

"Thank God nobody was hurt and the fire department was here and the police were here and they all got it in order. That's all the matters – no one died."