Elderly man dies in debris fire
Fire chief says the man's death is a result of an 'unfortunate accident'
An elderly man from the Hampton area has died from his injuries after catching fire while burning debris in his yard on Tuesday.
The accident happened on the Hall Road in Lakeside, shortly before 11:30 a.m.
Roger Breau, the chief of Hampton Fire Rescue, said the man was dead by the time firefighters arrived in what he calls "an unfortunate accident."
"It's something everyone has done, and yesterday, something happened that his clothes ignited. We're not sure what the cause was or how he was doing it, the garbage was still in the tractor bucket," he said.
"For someone to die like that, I've never seen one like it. I've seen people get caught in bonfires, fall and trip, but this is a first we've seen something like that."
A passerby put out the fire and covered the man with a blanket before firefighters arrived, Breau said.
RCMP are not releasing the name of the victim at the family's request.