Donnie Snook plea on sex-related charges held over
More charges expected against former Saint John councillor
Former Saint John Coun. Donnie Snook was expected to enter pleas on eight child exploitation charges Monday, but the case was adjourned until May 29 at his lawyer's request.
The 41-year-old suspended youth ministry leader was not present in Saint John provincial court and was not videoconferenced in either because the videoconferencing equipment has been moved to the new Law Courts building at Peel Plaza.
"There's not much to say," defence lawyer Dennis Boyle told CBC News after the brief court matter. "The police need more time," he said.
"We are waiting for the full package, the complete investigation, full disclosure. By May 29, everything should be done."
Snook, who has been in jail since his arrest on Jan. 9, remains in custody.
Boyle declined to disclose where his client is being held.
Snook is charged with three counts of touching a child for a sexual purpose, one count of making child pornography, two counts of distributing child pornography and two counts of possession.
The Crown told the court that the investigation is ongoing and more charges are likely.
In January, police said several more people alleged they were also abused by Snook and asked anyone with information about the case to contact them.
Some information from search warrants linked to the charges were also made public last month.
The documents revealed someone linked to Snook's Martha Avenue home was trading hundreds of sexual images of boys as young as toddlers.
Two more warrants were issued on Jan. 29, but the documents have been sealed by Provincial Court Judge Henrik Tonning.