nb-moncton-courthouse-220

Randy O'Brien's judge and jury trial at the Moncton Court of Queen's Bench is scheduled to continue until April 3. (Kate Letterick/CBC)

A jury has been selected for a Shediac daycare operator facing three child pornography-related charges.

Randy O'Brien has pleaded not guilty to attempting to procure child pornography and two counts of trying to counsel two minors to produce child pornography.

The alleged incidents on Aug. 27, 2011, do not involve children who attend O'Brien's Absolute Childcare Centre, officials have said.

There is a publication ban on any information that would identify the alleged victims, but the second two charges involve two different female complainants who are under the age of 18, officials have said.

Ninety-nine people were called for jury selection on Monday morning.

Each person was called into the Moncton Court of Queen's Bench courtroom privately and asked whether they could be impartial. Many of them said they could not.

Several people said they have young children and would not feel comfortable, while some said they had been abused during their youth.

Others cited work, health problems and family as reasons they should be excused from jury duty.

Some anglophones also said they didn't know enough French to participate in the trial, which will be conducted in French.

Eighty-three people were interviewed before the Crown and defence selected a 12-person jury and two substitutes.

The Crown will begin to present its case on Tuesday.

Six days have been set aside for the judge and jury trail at the Moncton Court of Queen's Bench.

O'Brien's daycare, located in Centre-Ville Mall, is a provincially-approved operation. It opened in March 2011.