nb-benjamin-nason-2

Benjamin Nason will remain in jail until a bail hearing is held on Feb. 18. (CBC)

The bail hearing of a man accused of attempted murder in connection with a shooting in Fredericton last week has been set over for two weeks.

Benjamin Nason, 37, appeared in provincial court on Monday, represented by court-appointed duty counsel, but requested an adjournment to allow him time to hire his own lawyer.

Nason has not yet entered a plea.

He will remain in jail until his new bail hearing on Feb. 18.

Nason was arrested on Jan. 29, following a day-long standoff at a home in Beaver Dam.

Earlier that day, police had responded to a shooting in the Lincoln Heights area, about 20 minutes away.

A 40-year-old woman was taken to the Dr. Everett Chalmers Hospital, suffering from a single gunshot wound to the upper body.

The woman underwent surgery and is recovering.

The victim and suspect knew each other, but were not a couple, police have said.

Nason surrendered without incident after having barricaded himself inside a home for 14 hours.

Police executed several search warrants in the case and the investigation is ongoing, police have said.