The man accused of abducting an 18-year-old woman during a home invasion in Moncton earlier this week is an ex-boyfriend who allegedly said he didn't want anyone else to have her.

Warrant issued for John Jay Anderson in Moncton abduction

John Jay Anderson, 21, is facing charges in connection with an alleged home invasion and abduction in Moncton on Tuesday. (RCMP)

John Jay Anderson, 21, is facing seven charges in connection with the alleged incident that occurred on Tuesday — the same day he moved out of his Moncton apartment and the day before his birthday, according to court documents.

The charges include: breaking and entering a home on McLaughlin Drive and committing an assault, unlawful confinement, three counts of assault, uttering threats to burn the victim's family's house down, and breaching a probation order to keep the peace and be of good behaviour.

Anderson is expected to appear in court on Friday, said Codiac Regional RCMP Const. Damien Thériault​.

The alleged victim was located on Tuesday at 8 p.m., about four hours after the alleged abduction. She had sustained "minor physical injuries," said Thériault, without divulging any additional information.

Anderson was arrested without incident on Thursday at about 11:45 a.m. at a home off Shediac Road, Thériault said.

A warrant for Anderson's arrest had been issued earlier in the day and police had asked for the public's help in locating him.

Police say Anderson's parents had been in contact with him on Tuesday and Wednesday and had tried to convince him to turn himself in, but he refused.

"I want her, I don't want anyone else to be with her," Anderson allegedly told his mother, according to a police officer's sworn affidavit, filed with Moncton provincial court on Thursday in support of obtaining an arrest warrant.

A police officer had also been in touch with Anderson and urged him to release the victim and to turn himself in, the document states.

"Anderson released the woman an hour and a half later, but refused to turn himself in," it states.

"The risk to the victim and her family in this situation are very high," the officer said in the sworn statement. "We are seeking a  warrant to avoid further offences from being committed, and to prevent him from fleeing our jurisdiction."

None of the allegations have been proven in court.

On Tuesday, shortly before 4 p.m., RCMP were advised ​that a man had broken into a house on McLaughlin Drive and taken an 18-year-old woman against her will.

Investigators determined the man travelled with the woman to the Miramichi area and then returned to Moncton.

The man and woman were known to each other, police had said at the time.

Codiac Regional RCMP, other RCMP detachments, Miramichi Police and an RCMP helicopter were involved in the search for the woman, said Thériault.

The investigation continues.