Two residents of the River View Manor Nursing Home in Bath remain in acute care after a fire on Wednesday.

Firefighters were called to the nursing home on Wednesday morning, where they found the building's electrical room filled with smoke.

A statement from the home says two residents, who were hospitalized for smoke inhalation, remain in acute care for treatment.

About 40 residents of the nursing home were taken to a nearby elementary school set up as a triage centre. They have since been transferred to the Waterville Hospital, Victoria Glen Manor Nursing Home in Perth, and Central Carleton Nursing Home in Hartland.


Two seniors remain hospitalized after a fire at a nursing home in Bath on Wednesday. (CBC)

A statement from the home says more permanent arrangements are still being worked out.

Bath Fire Chief Stephen Armour said the fire was small, but there was smoke damage throughout the building.

He said an inspection will be needed before residents are allowed to return.

"Could be days, could be weeks. As I said, there's major damage to the electrical system. It's been compromised real bad," Armour said.

The home said it appears the cause was a blown transformer.

However, the home’s executive director said the facility’s emergency plan was activated and worked well.