Westmount fire leaves elderly woman dead
84-year-old woman was cooking when her clothes caught fire
An 84-year-old woman is dead after a small kitchen fire in her apartment in Westmount.
A spokesman for the Montreal fire department said the woman was cooking and had her stove's burner on when her clothes caught fire.
It happened around 7:30 p.m. on Thursday.
She was wearing a Lifeline Medical Alert System bracelet, which notified firefighters of the fire.
By the time first responders arrived, there was smoke, but no fire. The woman suffered burns to 50 per cent of her body, causing her to go into cardiac arrest.
First responders tried to resuscitate her, but she was later confirmed dead in hospital.