Villeray stove fire sends woman to hospital

A late-night fire in Villeray sent an elderly woman overcome by smoke to the hospital.

Elderly woman was treated for smoke inhalation but was otherwise uninjured

A woman was taken to hospital after a fire started in the kitchen of her single-storey home on Foucher Street. (Simon-Marc Charron/Radio-Canada)

A late-night fire in Villeray sent an elderly woman overcome by smoke to the hospital.

Firefighters were able to stop the flames from spreading to neighbouring homes. (Simon-Marc Charron/Radio-Canada)

The fire began in the kitchen of a home on Foucher Street just before 11 p.m. on Wednesday.

Fire operations chief Benoit Brouillard said the woman was the only one at home at the time.

He said the victim managed to escape through the back door.

The fire appears to have started around the stove, but it's not yet known whether it was the result of a cooking accident or an electrical problem.

The woman was treated for smoke inhalation but was otherwise uninjured.

The flames did not spread to neighbouring homes.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.