Fire officials say a frying pan that was left unattended is to blame for a fire that seriously damaged a triplex on the corner of Fullum Street and Lalonde Avenue in Ville-Marie early Sunday morning.

The fire began just after 5 a.m. in a second floor unit and spread to the top floor.

Martin Farmer, chief of operations for the Montreal fire department, said it was lucky that all residents of the triplex were able to get out.

Farmer said the building’s units had smoke detectors, but many weren’t working.  

One resident suffered some burns and a firefighter sustained minor injuries.

Firefighters had the flames under control by 8 a.m.

“Frying anything requires constant surveillance, and that wasn’t the case here. A frying pan that is left for a long time will catch fire,” Farmer said.