Quebec Transport Minister André Fortin says construction on the Turcot Interchange is on schedule and on budget, but that drivers are in for the worst of the traffic headaches.
With 56 per cent of the project done, commuters are still in for another two years of detours as the point of peak traffic diversion is now kicking in.
The Transport Ministry is setting up 28 temporary detours as ramps get torn down and rebuilt.
Mayor Valérie Plante visited the site on Monday, saying that she's pleased with the progress so far.
"The fact that it's on target, it's good news," said Plante.
Green walkway back on the table
She also revived the idea of a pedestrian and cycling bridge connecting the Notre-Dame-de-Grâce and Southwest boroughs — known as the Dalle-Parc.
The green walkway was included in the initial Turcot plans but later axed by the province as too expensive.
In theory, the addition would facilitate travel between the Lachine canal and NDG via the St-Jacques escarpment, near the southern end of Cavendish Boulevard.
It was a big selling point for residents during the initial consultations, and it has come up multiple times since it was quietly removed from the plans by the Transport Ministry more than two years ago.
Plante says she's been working with the minister and that she's hopeful the Dalle-Parc project isn't dead for good.
"The fact that we don't have anything to connect both neighbourhoods and to support active transport is a problem and we both agree on that," she said.
For his part, Fortin says he's willing to consider bringing the project back but that it likely wouldn't happen until after the Turcot is completed.
"We agreed to work with the citizens south of the highway and north of the highway to see exactly what they want," he said. "It's a shared vision we have with the city."