Family of Quebec cardinal 'relieved' papal conclave is over
Archdiocese of Montreal impressed with Pope Francis's first gestures
Posted: Mar 13, 2013 5:14 PM ET
Last Updated: Mar 13, 2013 9:53 PM ET
Canadian Cardinal Marc Ouellet's family members say they did not anticipate the amount of media attention that came along with his candidacy for the role of pope.
Louis Ouellet, the cardinal's brother, said his family had been anticipating the naming of a new pope since Feb. 28, when Benedict XVI resigned from his position.
"We lived a ton of emotions since February," he said. "My mother is excited to speak with Marc."
He said the family hopes things will remain calm for the next few years and do not anticipate Marc Ouellet to be at the centre of media attention.
"It was a historical moment for the family, and a magical moment for the family," said the cardinal's other brother, Rock Ouellet. "We were also relieved that the [heavy media attention] during the conclave would be slowing down."
René Martineau, the mayor of the town of La Motte where Ouellet hails from, said the intense media attention was a big change for the town of 450 people.
"I am proud, disappointed and relieved," he said.
Martineau said the town would welcome Ouellet back to La Motte if he returns.
Ouellet was seen as one of the leading contenders to succeed Benedict XVI as pope.
A two-day conclave determined Jorge Mario Bergoglio from Argentina would lead the Roman Catholic Church under the name Pope Francis.
Archdiocese of Montreal Thomas Dowd said he was impressed by the Pope's first gestures to the public.
"That moment of silence where he bowed in front of the public and asked them to pray for him. What an amazing pastoral gesture, a sign that he doesn't find himself above the people but truly in partnership with them in a union of prayer," said Dowd.
He said the cardinals made an interesting decision in picking a candidate from Argentina and breaking away from the long line of European popes.
Latest Montreal News Headlines
- Supreme Court refuses to hear Lise Thibault's appeal
- The Supreme Court of Canada has refused to hear the appeal of Quebec's former Lt.-Gov. Lise Thibault, who is charged with fraud and breach o ftrust. more »
- RCMP moving to freeze assets in widening SNC-Lavalin probe
- The RCMP is moving to freeze millions of dollars in bank accounts and real estate holdings in Montreal and Florida as part of its expanding probe into Canadian engineering firm SNC-Lavalin. more »
- Via terror plot suspects due in court today
- Two suspects charged in an alleged plot to bomb a Via Rail train are scheduled to appear in a Toronto court Thursday morning. more »
- Eugenie Bouchard advances to Strasbourg International semifinals
- Quebec teenager Eugenie Bouchard continued her impressive week in Strasbourg, France with a straight sets quarter-final win Thursday against her Georgian opponent. more »
Top News Headlines
- 2nd suspect in Tim Bosma murder case to plead not guilty
- The lawyer for Mark Smich says the Oakville, Ont., resident will plead not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of Tim Bosma, the Hamilton man who disappeared earlier this month after taking two men on a test drive of his truck. Smich was charged today, after Dellen Millard of Toronto was also charged with first-degree murder. more »
- U.K. attack suspects were focus of past security probes
- WARNING: This story contains graphic content. Two men accused of butchering a British soldier had featured in previous investigations by security services, a British official said, as investigators tried to determine whether the men were part of a wider radical Islamic plot. more »
- Neil Macdonald: Harper no Obama when it comes to dealing with scandals
- Beset by three so-called scandals at the moment, Barack Obama has been meeting his accusers and the press head on, Neil Macdonald writes. The same cannot be said for how Stephen Harper operates. more »
- Rob Ford: Councillors, media want answers on crack issue
- Newspaper editorials and commentators are expressing frustration over Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's silence on allegations he was captured on video smoking what appears to be crack cocaine. more »
- 1.3 million Montrealers face boil water advisory
- Woman injured after falling on Montreal metro tracks
- 23-year-old woman dies while surfing near LaSalle
- Taking a look at graffiti tagging hotspots in Montreal
- Court freezes assets in widening SNC-Lavalin probe
- Anti-corruption raids at borough offices in CDN-NDG
- How Quebec Cree avoided the fate of Attawapiskat
- Quebec private daycare owners hold 1-day walkout
- CBC board member linked to allegations before corruption inquiry