First Nations policing funds renewed for five years
Public Safety Minister Vic Toews announces federal program extension during question period
Posted: Mar 4, 2013 3:44 PM ET
Last Updated: Mar 4, 2013 7:39 PM ET
Public Safety Minister Vic Toews announced Monday that funding for the First Nations Policing Program will be renewed for the next five years.
The program, which pays roughly half of the cost of policing in about 400 First Nations and Inuit communities across Canada, was set to expire March 31 and aboriginal leaders were expressing concerns that public safety was about to be compromised. The program costs about $122 million a year.
"Our government is committed to keeping our streets and communities safe," Toews said during question period in the House of Commons Monday. "This is the largest investment in the history of this program and a significant increase from the previous Liberal government."
The program provides "culturally-responsive" policing services by supplementing the funding and police forces supplied by provinces and territories.
In 2012-13, the department's release says, 163 policing agreements were part of the program, providing funding towards approximately 1,250 professional officers that serve a total population of more than 338,000.
Last month, Assembly of First Nations National Chief Shawn Atleo wrote to Toews, urging him to meet with First Nations leaders to address their funding concerns. Toews met on Monday with Atleo and Ghislain Picard, the AFN Regional Chief for Quebec and Labrador, according to a government official.
Currently, the federal government funds aboriginal police services at a rate of 52 per cent, with provincial governments funding the other 48 per cent.
Latest Montreal News Headlines
- Former premier among growing list of politicians offered cash in Laval
- Radio-Canada's investigative program Enquête reports former PQ Premier Bernard Landry turned down a cash-stuffed envelope from a would-be donor in Laval in 1976. more »
- Patrick Roy named head coach of Avalanche
- The Colorado Avalanche made it official Thursday, naming Patrick Roy their new head coach and vice president of hockey operations. more »
- SNC-Lavalin letter says Gadhafi son offered VP post: RCMP
- SNC-Lavalin's ties to Libya's former dictatorship ran so deep the company offered the son of Moammar Gadhafi a six-figure job as a vice president in 2008, according to a newly unsealed RCMP affidavit. more »
- Quebec film wins screenplay prize at Cannes
- Le Demantelement, a movie by Quebec director Sebastien Pilote, has won one of the main prizes of sidebar program Critics Week at the Cannes Film Festival. more »
Top News Headlines
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford fires chief of staff
- A week after bombshell allegations that Toronto Mayor Rob ford was videotaped smoking crack, the mayor's chief of staff was fired and Ford is continuing to stonewall reporters. more »
- Federal Court won't remove MPs over robocall allegations
- The Federal Court says it won't throw six MPs out of their seats over allegations of widespread vote suppression through automated robocalls in the 2011 federal election. more »
- Alleged Ford crack video seller not responding to calls
- The journalist who broke the story alleging Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was recorded on video smoking crack cocaine says he may never be able to get his hands on the evidence. more »
- 2nd suspect in Tim Bosma murder case to plead not guilty
- The lawyer for Mark Smich says the Oakville, Ont., resident will plead not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of Tim Bosma, the Hamilton man who disappeared earlier this month after taking two men on a test drive of his truck. more »
- Montreal boil-water advisory to end no earlier than 10 p.m.
- 1.3 million Montrealers face boil water advisory
- Woman injured after falling on Montreal metro tracks
- Supreme Court refuses to hear Lise Thibault's appeal
- 23-year-old woman dies while surfing near LaSalle
- RCMP moving to freeze assets in widening SNC-Lavalin probe
- Taking a look at graffiti tagging hotspots in Montreal
- PQ polling woes continue
- Anti-corruption raids at borough offices in CDN-NDG