Entrepreneur grilled on details of severe beating
Giuseppe Borsellino says he never paid a cut to the Mafia
Posted: Feb 6, 2013 3:03 PM ET
Last Updated: Feb 6, 2013 9:41 PM ET
A construction entrepreneur testifying before the Charbonneau commission says a severe beating he suffered in 2009 may have been linked to the construction industry and the Mob.
Giuseppe Borsellino was guarded when answering questions about the beating, which he said left him with severe facial injuries that required reconstructive surgery.
'If you were beaten to the point that you were disfigured and have to be hospitalized for a reconstruction of your face, you must have some idea why you were beaten like that.' —Commission chair France Charbonneau
"I don't know why [it happened] and it could have been for a number of reasons. It could be linked to construction," he said. "I've tried to forget the incident."
Commission chair France Charbonneau pushed Borsellino further, asking him to give the commission more details on the motive behind the assault, which, he said, he did not report to police.
"If you were beaten to the point that you were disfigured and had to be hospitalized for a reconstruction of your face, you must have some idea why you were beaten like that," she said.
"I have some ideas. Maybe I didn't pay my debts. Maybe I didn't do a job well. It's maybe two or three reasons," Borsellino replied.
The construction boss said he was in his office in July 2009 when three men came in and assaulted him. He said the men didn't say anything at the time to indicate their motive, and he had no warning that they were coming.
"I did not make a complaint, and I went on to my business and went back to work," he said.
Borsellino said it was the only time he has been the victim of physical violence.
Borsellino did say he was acquainted with reputed members of the Montreal Mafia, including Vito Rizzuto and his late father Nicolo Rizzuto.
He explained that his parents came from the same village in southern Sicily, Cattolica Eraclea, as the Rizzutos and that he had been to Montreal's Consenza Social Club, which law enforcement authorities have alleged acted as one of the Rizzuto clan's headquarters.
He said he only was in the club in a social context and in the back room, which was later the subject of intense video surveillance by the RCMP, to use the washroom or make a phone call.
Borsellino stressed that he only knew the family because they were members of the Sicilian community in Montreal and that he had no business dealings with them.
He did however tell the commission that he believes the construction industry has been infiltrated by the Mafia. He stopped short of naming any names and hedged his response, saying that it was all second hand knowledge.
"What I've heard is that there's infiltration. What entrepreneurs have been infiltrated, that I can't say," he told the commission.
He said he tried to keep his head down and focus on his business. Those people that he was dealing with were businessmen and entrepreneurs and not, to his knowledge, members of organized crime groups.
"Did you pay a cut to the Mafia?" Charbonneau asked.
"No. Absolutely not," Borsellino replied.
Borsellino denied ever attending a family event held by the Rizuttos, including Nicolo Rizzuto Sr.'s funeral in 2010.
He said he may have been invited to the wedding of Vito's son Leonardo, but said if that was the case, the invitation would have came from the bride's side, who were family friends.
He couldn't recall if he went to the wedding and blamed memory loss for the beating for his vague responses.
Cash in envelopes
Earlier in the day, Borsellino was questioned further about cash and gifts he'd given to city officials as part of a kickback scheme that had already been the subject of the testimony of several former bureaucrats called to the witness stand.
Borsellino said he handed around $100,000 cash to city engineer Gilles Surprenant as part of a collusion scheme to rig the bidding process between 1995 and the mid-2000s.
After that, Borsellino said his firm made a decision to no longer "do business" with Surprenant.
France Charbonneau suggested that, by that time, the system of contract inflation had already become the norm, and Borsellino no longer needed Surprenant.
Borsellino also admitted that he gave around $115,000 in cash to former City of Montreal engineer Luc Leclerc, who the entrepreneur said was responsible for approving extra work billed to the city.
Leclerc told the commission last fall that he took as much as 25 per cent of the contingency costs on inflated bills or false invoices construction companies charged on public projects.
Borsellino said he paid off Leclerc in about 80 per cent of the projects they both worked on, estimating that amounted to between five and 10 separate payments.
Latest Montreal News Headlines
- CBC's Top Tweets: How are you dealing with the boil water advisory?
- CBC asked members of the twitterverse to share how they're dealing with the City of Montreal's boil water advisory. more »
- 1-day Quebec private daycare strike affects 25,000 kids
- Thousands of parents are finding alternate babysitting arrangements in the face of a one-day walkout by about half of the 600 private, subsidized daycares in Quebec, with the strike affecting about 25,000 kids. more »
- Aretha Franklin cancels Canadian shows
- Aretha Franklin is extending her current break and has cancelled performances for the month of June, including apperances in Montreal and Ottawa. more »
- Conrad Black defends Harper's former chief of staff
- Conrad Black tells Jian Ghomeshi of CBC's Q radio program that he doesn't believe the prime minister's former chief of staff did anything wrong by writing a personal cheque to Senator Mike Duffy for ineligible expenses. more »
Top News Headlines
- Harper 'not consulted' about Duffy Senate expense repayment
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper says that not only did he not know about his chief of staff's "gift" to repay Senator Mike Duffy's expenses before the story broke in the media, he was not consulted and did not sign off on Nigel Wright's decision to write a personal cheque. more »
- Ford ally says mayor told to limit comments on alleged crack video
- Legal advice may be behind Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's decision to stay silent in the wake of allegations he was recorded smoking what appears to be crack cocaine. more »
- 'You will see him again in heaven,' Sharlene Bosma tells daughter
- Sharlene Bosma told more than 1,000 people at the public memorial service for her slain husband, Tim Bosma, about the love they shared. more »
- Obama to visit Oklahoma following deadly tornado
- Rescue workers raced to complete the search for survivors and the dead in the Oklahoma City suburb where a mammoth tornado destroyed countless homes, cleared lots down to bare red earth and claimed 24 lives, including those of nine children. more »
- Over 1 million Montrealers face boil water advisory
- 'Lightly felt' earthquake west of Montreal
- Molotov cocktail targets St. Léonard business for 2nd time
- Taking a look at graffiti tagging hotspots in Montreal
- Crucifix to stay in National Assembly: Drainville
- Service restored on Montreal metro lines
- Thousands push for rejection of Bill 14
- Daniel Ratthé eager to return to CAQ caucus
- Quebecer dead in Mexico after scuba diving incident