Holy Cross seeks extension on $18M compensation payout
Victims accuse congregation of drawing out payment process
Posted: Jan 3, 2013 2:19 PM ET
Last Updated: Jan 3, 2013 8:27 PM ET
The Holy Cross Congregation says it needs six more months to work through all the applications submitted to an $18 million fund set up for victims of sexual abuse before compensation is paid.
Lawyers for the congregation asked a Superior Court judge in Montreal today for more time to process the applications of the more than 200 alleged victims that have come forward.
"The Holy Cross Congregation is adequately compensating all the victims to allow them to close a painful chapter in their lives," the congregation said in a statement released Thursday.
"The extension is necessary due to the brevity of many of the claims as well as delays resulting from requests for information, including medical records supporting those claims."
The congregation reached an out of court settlement in October 2011, two years after victims launched a class action lawsuit.
The money is to serve as compensation for sexual abuse that occurred between 1950 and 2001 at Montreal's Collège Notre-Dame and at schools in Saint-Césaire and Pohénégamook.
Holy Cross also agreed to issue an apology.
The association representing the victims has accused the congregation of foot dragging in paying out the historic $18 million sum.
In a statement issued Wednesday, the association says the congregation is acting in bad faith.
"More than a year after a historic agreement was reached between the victims of religious pedophiles and the Congregation of Holy Cross congregation, no one has yet been compensated," the association stated.
In total, 223 victims have come forward to receive compensation, a number higher than anticipated.
Lawyers representing the congregation have challenged nearly 80 per cent of the claims, the victim's association says.
Sebastien Richard, a former student who speaks on behalf of the victims, says while it's true that some bogus claims have been made, they were quickly rejected.
The judge in the case began this morning's hearing by saying he wants a private meeting with the lawyers on both sides.
Richard said he has faith in the judge hearing the case and believes that meeting is an appropriate way to proceed.
"He wants to see the victims move on and he wants to help the victims," he said. "I think if they have a closed-door discussion, I'm pretty sure it's going to be pretty clear what he thinks about what is going on."
The hearing is expected to continue this afternoon.
Criminal investigations are still ongoing in connection with former teachers at the schools.
Last week, police indicated that warrants had been issued for two former teachers, Georges Sarazin, 91, and Olivain Leblanc, 70, and they would likely be arrested soon.
Latest Montreal News Headlines
- Relaunch of Highway 19 extension to be announced today
- Quebec's provincial government is reportedly going ahead with the long-awaited extension of Highway 19, north of Montreal. more »
- Philanthropist, father of Browns Shoes, dies at 85
- Montrealers are mourning the death of well-known businessman and community member Morton Brownstein. more »
- Montreal lifts boil-water advisory
- Mayor Michael Applebaum has given Montrealers the green light to drink their tap water, saying it's safe to drink. He says if it's still discoloured, let the taps run for a few minutes. more »
- Dachshunds strut their stuff as UN bosses
- CBC Montreal checked out a dress rehearsal Thursday for Dachshund UN, a Festival TransAmériques show featuring dozens of dogs impersonating members of the United Nations. more »
Top News Headlines
- Washington bridge collapse not Alberta trucker's fault, wife says
- The wife of the trucker implicated in Thursday's collapse of a bridge in Washington State that serves tens of thousands of commuters daily says her husband is not responsible for the incident. more »
- London attack victim's widow speaks of 'our future together'
- The family of the young British soldier who was killed in a brutal daytime slaying spoke at a press conference on Friday, including his widow who talked about their plans for the future. more »
- Greg Weston: Senate scandal may be Harper's worst hour
- The widening Senate scandal that the prime minister flippantly tried to dismiss as a 'distraction' just days ago has instead become arguably Stephen Harper's worst hour. more »
- Canada ranks 3rd last in paid vacations
- Canada ranks third last among economically advanced countries in the amount of paid vacation time it guarantees its workers, a new U.S. study indicates. more »
- Montreal lifts boil-water advisory
- PQ wants to force federally regulated firms to abide by French language charter
- Qatar drops bid to move UN aviation agency from Montreal
- Alleged sexual predator's victims sought by Montreal police
- Former premier among growing list of politicians offered cash in Laval
- 1.3 million Montrealers face boil water advisory
- Laval police seize drugs, assault weapon
- PQ polling woes continue
- Taking a look at graffiti tagging hotspots in Montreal